Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak[_2_] willshak[_2_] is offline

Default Don't use brooms. Sawdust causes cancer!

aemeijers wrote:
jthread wrote:

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message

"jthread" wrote in message

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
willshak wrote:

I know I developed asthma after working with wood for several years.
There maybe something to this.

I developed asthma after removing the complete interior and jute
padding from a 1961 Lincoln Continental without a mask.

Neither wood nor jute cause asthma. Wood, jute, or just about
anything else can cause an asthma ATTACK, but are not the
underlying causes. In this regard, asthma is similar to an allergy.
Asthma, or more specifically, the sensitivity to certain things is
entirely genetic.

Sorry I missed that "MD" after your name.

And you really need to put PHD after yours. That's for Piled High
and Deep.

Steve

lol

I'm not an MD, but I am an allergy sufferer. A woodworker getting an
attack from the dust of clean new wood is pretty rare, but any heavy
intake of dust can cause problems. In the case of the gutted Lincoln,
I'd bet the actual allergen was the stuff LIVING IN the sound deadening,
not the material itself. The hidden areas of a car get damp on a regular
basis. Warm dark damp spaces are where all sorts of common allergens
like to breed.

--
aem sends...

That's true. Things ingested into the lungs cannot be flushed out. Think
asbestos. If one is allergic to something and it gets into the lungs and
does not dissipate by itself, it could cause cancer or permanent medical
problems, like asthma.