Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing Electrical Weatherhead ?

I am a homeowner in Burlingame California

I am getting a new roof installed and noticed that my weatherhead is very
rusty. Also the ground wire is attached through an insulator into my roof.

I would like to change out the weatherhead.

What is involved? I guess I need to contact the city? Contact the utility
company PG&E to turn off power? Or do they allow the change over to be done
hot?

If I get the power turned off by the utility company can I do the work
myself?

I guess it would me running new wires too.

Any advice would help.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 7:48*pm, "Tube Audio" wrote:
I am a homeowner in Burlingame California

I am getting a new roof installed and noticed that my weatherhead is very
rusty. *Also the ground wire is attached through an insulator into my roof.

I would like to change out the weatherhead.

What is involved? *I guess I need to contact the city? *Contact the utility
company PG&E to turn off power? *Or do they allow the change over to be done
hot?

If I get the power turned off by the utility company can I do the work
myself?

I guess it would me running new wires too.

Any advice would help.

Thanks

Call PG&E and schedule a time for a disconnect and a reconnect after
you are done. There is no way I would try this while it is energized
although I am sure somebody will tell you it can be done. To be
honest it probably could be done hot but why take the chance? If
something goes wrong you could be burned beyond recognition. I don't
think replacing a weatherhead requires a permit but you might call the
city/county inspectors office and inquire. If you are not 100%
certain of what you are doing call an electrician. Changing a
weatherhead should not take more then an hour or two and that would be
money well spent if you aren't sure of what you are doing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tube Audio wrote:
I am a homeowner in Burlingame California

I am getting a new roof installed and noticed that my weatherhead is very
rusty. Also the ground wire is attached through an insulator into my roof.

I would like to change out the weatherhead.

What is involved? I guess I need to contact the city? Contact the utility
company PG&E to turn off power? Or do they allow the change over to be done
hot?

If I get the power turned off by the utility company can I do the work
myself?

I guess it would me running new wires too.

Any advice would help.

Thanks

Anything upstream of meter base is power company's turf, even though you
own the weatherhead itself. Call them and ask what the local procedures
for a refresh are. Some places you have to buy the riser and weatherhead
from them, others tell you what makes and models are acceptable. Pretty
safe to say a licensed electrician will be required, either theirs or
somebody with a local license that can call in a work order to get the
drop disconnected at the pole while they do the work. Eyeball the drop
wire with binoculars- if you see shiny spots, tell the power company.
Worn-out drops are a leading cause of outages in storms, and they would
rather switch them on a nice sunny day.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 19:48:17 -0700, "Tube Audio"
wrote:

I would like to change out the weatherhead.

Paint it. It should last 40 more years
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tube Audio" wrote in message
I am a homeowner in Burlingame California

I am getting a new roof installed and noticed that my weatherhead is very
rusty. Also the ground wire is attached through an insulator into my
roof.

I would like to change out the weatherhead.

What is involved? I guess I need to contact the city? Contact the
utility company PG&E to turn off power? Or do they allow the change over
to be done hot?

If I get the power turned off by the utility company can I do the work
myself?

I guess it would me running new wires too.

Any advice would help.

Thanks

These things are handled differently in locations across the country. You
could call the utility, or an electrician. I doubt they would kill the power
to work on it, so if you are not experienced, hire someone... or just paint
it