Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 24-inch concrete block retaining wall

I am building an addition on the back of my house. The foundation for
this addition is deeper in the ground than the existing house by about
18 inches. I need a retaining wall along bottom of the existing
foundation to keep it supported and to hide/seal off the loose soil. I
plan to use a concrete block retaining wall which will run 20 feet
long and 2 feet high. Do I need to create an eight-inch footing to
support this small retaining wall? Or, can I just get the four-inch
concrete floor poured in the new foundation area and then build the
retaining wall on that?

Thanks
Kathy
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 17, 5:58*pm, wrote:
I am building an addition on the back of my house. The foundation for
this addition is deeper in the ground than the existing house by about
18 inches. I need a retaining wall along bottom of the existing
foundation to keep it supported and to hide/seal off the loose soil. I
plan to use a concrete block retaining wall which will run 20 feet
long and 2 feet high. Do I need to create an eight-inch footing to
support this small retaining wall? Or, can I just get the four-inch
concrete floor poured in the new foundation area and then build the
retaining wall on that?

Thanks
Kathy

Wouldn't it be a good idea to ask the folks who will have to approve
the project, namely your building inspectors? Unless you are living in
some remote wilderness, you have to pull permits, submit plans, and
generally follow common sense codes that will keep you out of trouble.
If you haven't already done so, having the advice and plans from a
professional engineer/architect will be money well spent. Good luck.

Joe