Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tile Grout: Sanded vs Unsanded

I am having ceramic tile flooring installed in my bathroom as well as my kitchen. The contractor is suggesting 3/8" joints. What is the difference between sanded and unsanded grout? Which do you recommend?

Thanks,

John
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 8:37*am, "DJ Redlocks" wrote:
I am having ceramic tile flooring installed in my bathroom as well as my kitchen. The contractor is suggesting 3/8" joints. What is the difference between sanded and unsanded grout? Which do you recommend?

Thanks,

John

Thats an awfully big joint that would usually call for sanded grout.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RickH" wrote in message...
Thats an awfully big joint that would usually call for sanded grout.

I better check with the contractor. Maybe he said 3/16".
Would that make a difference? I will be using 12" x 12"
tiles.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Personally, I prefer as small a grout line as possible. Tile is glazed and
easy to clean, grout is not and tends to get dirty and stained easily, so
the less grout the better for me.
I would NOT go for 3/8" or even 3/16" if smaller were possible.

"DJ Redlocks" wrote in message
. ..

"RickH" wrote in message...
Thats an awfully big joint that would usually call for sanded grout.

I better check with the contractor. Maybe he said 3/16".
Would that make a difference? I will be using 12" x 12"
tiles.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DJ Redlocks wrote:
I am having ceramic tile flooring installed in my bathroom

if wet space, use unsanded grout.

would also recommend you use porcelain tile

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tom" wrote in message
m...
DJ Redlocks wrote:
I am having ceramic tile flooring installed in my bathroom

if wet space, use unsanded grout.

would also recommend you use porcelain tile

read the package. unsanded grout isn't designed for thick grout lines, and
will crack if used inappropriately.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 8:37*am, "DJ Redlocks" wrote:
I am having ceramic tile flooring installed in my bathroom as well as my kitchen. The contractor is suggesting 3/8" joints. What is the difference between sanded and unsanded grout? Which do you recommend?

Thanks,

John

I agree with other poster and use a small grout line perhaps 1/8 inch,
then unsanded grout is not a problem.

If the joints are 1/4 inch or more you should go with sanded grout
especially on a floor. If 1/8 inch you can use either sanded or
unsanded. Less than 1/8 inch then definitely use unsanded. But I too
have learned to hate wide grout lines for sanitation reasons.

The difference?... unsanded looks like smooth plaster, sanded looks
like mortar. When you buy the acrylic caulk to match the grout (for
tub and toilet bottom, etc) then match that as sanded/unsanded also.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 11:34 am, "Tom" wrote:
DJ Redlocks wrote:
I am having ceramic tile flooring installed in my bathroom

if wet space, use unsanded grout.

HUH??

Unsanded is only good for narrow joints.

would also recommend you use porcelain tile

Kinda partial to natural stone myself, but often ceramic looks good
too. Any reason why you like porcelain tile so much?

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 6:36 pm, Big_Jake wrote:
On Jul 17, 11:34 am, "Tom" wrote:

DJ Redlocks wrote:
I am having ceramic tile flooring installed in my bathroom

if wet space, use unsanded grout.

HUH??

Unsanded is only good for narrow joints.

would also recommend you use porcelain tile

Kinda partial to natural stone myself, but often ceramic looks good
too. Any reason why you like porcelain tile so much?

JK

I recently had my bathroom remodeled. They used large tile on both
walls and floor. They said the wall grout did not have sand and the
floor grout did have sand. The floor tile joints or grout lines is
much wider than the wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sanded Grout.

http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...er=arc&lang=en

Non Sanded Grout

http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...er=arc&lang=en

Tells you the specs.

Both have many application

Read up...

www.totalflooring.org

Posted to alt.home.repair

DJ Redlocks wrote:

I am having ceramic tile flooring installed in my bathroom as well as
my kitchen. The contractor is suggesting 3/8" joints. What is the
difference between sanded and unsanded grout? Which do you recommend?

Sanded grout has sand in it; unsanded doesn't. That's pretty much the
difference.

Unsanded grout is only for very small grout lines, like the 1/8" or
less in a shower. The sand makes the grout more durable. A 3/8" grout
line is wide enough to walk on. Use sanded grout.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Sanded vs unsanded grout Ed Home Repair 7 May 30th 08 09:55 PM
Sanded or unsanded grout Aaron Fude Home Repair 1 February 6th 08 10:44 PM
Removal of Tile Perfect Ceramic Tile Adhesive & Grout eganders Home Repair 0 January 27th 08 01:33 PM
sanded grout Tippi Home Repair 7 January 17th 06 05:46 PM
Sanded Grout OK for Shower Floors? [email protected] Home Repair 6 October 26th 05 06:09 PM