Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Ed is offline

Default Sanded vs unsanded grout

The grout around our below-the-tile kitchen sink has shrunk back and
needs replacing. Currently, it is sanded like
the rest of the grout. But, when I visit HD or Ace hardware all I see
for the application is unsanded grout. Should I look further,
or use the unsanded?

TIA

Ed

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed wrote:

The grout around our below-the-tile kitchen sink has shrunk back and
needs replacing. Currently, it is sanded like
the rest of the grout. But, when I visit HD or Ace hardware all I see
for the application is unsanded grout. Should I look further,
or use the unsanded?

TIA

Ed

If I get your description right I would use grout caulk instead of grout.
Grout with some latex silicon mix. You use it between tile and bathtubs and
tile and sinks also at corners. It comes in a caulking tubes for use in
caulking guns. You can get it sanded or nonsanded, it depends on how large
a gap you have between the tile and sink.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 10:25*pm, "Ed" wrote:
The grout around our below-the-tile kitchen sink has shrunk back and
needs replacing. Currently, it is sanded like
the rest of the grout. But, when I visit HD or Ace hardware all I see
for the application is unsanded grout. Should I look further,
or use the unsanded?

TIA

Ed

They do make both. But I would try sanded grout in a tube first. More
flexible than grout itself.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Ed is offline

"evodawg" wrote in message

If I get your description right I would use grout caulk instead of
grout.
Grout with some latex silicon mix. You use it between tile and
bathtubs and
tile and sinks also at corners. It comes in a caulking tubes for use
in
caulking guns. You can get it sanded or nonsanded, it depends on how
large
a gap you have between the tile and sink.

Yes, that's the place that needs new grout. I'll try the tube product.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Ed is offline

"evodawg" wrote in message

If I get your description right I would use grout caulk instead of
grout.
Grout with some latex silicon mix. You use it between tile and
bathtubs and
tile and sinks also at corners. It comes in a caulking tubes for use
in
caulking guns. You can get it sanded or nonsanded, it depends on how
large
a gap you have between the tile and sink.

I just got Polyblend Ceramic Tile Caulk at HD. However, it says "do
not use in areas with
constant water exposure." To me, the kitchen sink seems like a lot of
water exposure. Maybe
the mean not to use where it will be under water all the time?

Ed

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed wrote:

"evodawg" wrote in message

If I get your description right I would use grout caulk instead of
grout.
Grout with some latex silicon mix. You use it between tile and
bathtubs and
tile and sinks also at corners. It comes in a caulking tubes for use
in
caulking guns. You can get it sanded or nonsanded, it depends on how
large
a gap you have between the tile and sink.

Yes, that's the place that needs new grout. I'll try the tube product.

Thanks.

It seems odd to use a sanded grout between sink and tile counter. I
would use silicone caulk, sans
sand. Easier to clean, and you want it to be a waterproof joint, right?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Ed is offline

"Norminn" wrote in message
news
It seems odd to use a sanded grout between sink and tile counter. I
would use silicone caulk, sans
sand. Easier to clean, and you want it to be a waterproof joint,
right?

Thanks, Norman. Guess I'm just used to looking at it matching the
other grout, which is sanded.

Waterproof is definitely the idea. As a matter of fact, that's been
problem. Rust has stained the porcelain on the
sink around the faucet. I complained to Kohler and they said it was
due to leaky grout. I took that as a cop-out,
as I would have thought Kohler would make a kitchen sink so as to deal
with a little water.

BTW, is there any way to get rid of the rust stain?

Ed

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed wrote:

"Norminn" wrote in message
news

It seems odd to use a sanded grout between sink and tile counter. I
would use silicone caulk, sans
sand. Easier to clean, and you want it to be a waterproof joint,
right?

Thanks, Norman. Guess I'm just used to looking at it matching the
other grout, which is sanded.

Waterproof is definitely the idea. As a matter of fact, that's been
problem. Rust has stained the porcelain on the
sink around the faucet. I complained to Kohler and they said it was
due to leaky grout. I took that as a cop-out,
as I would have thought Kohler would make a kitchen sink so as to deal
with a little water.

BTW, is there any way to get rid of the rust stain?

Ed

I get rust stains in our stainless sink once in a while, and use
Barkeeper's Friend and a soft
cloth to remove them. Probably would work on porcell., but it is a long
time since I had a
porcell. sink. Barkeeper's is also what I use on glass cooktop, so
likely ok for porcell.

If you have old grout to remove, Dremel rotary tools have a special head
and attachment for
that.......works great on a tile wall, but doubtful for a corner. The
bit will gouge porcellain.
Just a utility knife, carefully, might get it. Make sure the surfaces
are absolutely clean when
you grout. Caulk should form a round, concave joint so's you don't get
ruts that trap water
and grow mildew. A speck of grout here and there, if bonded tightly,
will prob. be covered
by the caulk. Clean with full strength bleach and let dry just before
caulking.

Sanded or unsanded grout Aaron Fude Home Repair 1 February 6th 08 10:44 PM
Sanded through finish help Keith Woodworking 3 February 12th 06 12:31 AM
sanded grout Tippi Home Repair 7 January 17th 06 05:46 PM
Sanded Grout OK for Shower Floors? [email protected] Home Repair 6 October 26th 05 06:09 PM
does grout sealer make grout waterproof? bob Home Repair 3 October 20th 05 03:53 AM