Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing a busted pane in my french door

My french doors are double-paned. I don't even know if 'pane' is the
right terminology because there are no muttons in the door. It's just
a big sheet of glass -- a quick unofficial measurement is 21 1/2" x
66". The french door is wood, not metal.

I managed to bust the first pane of glass in my door while mowing
today . Is this hard to replace? Just looking at the door, it
seems simple. Unhinge door, laying it flat. Pop out the outer
molding, pull out the broken glass, put in a new pane, seal and
replace moulding. Could it be this simple? And would I save much
versus just paying someone to do it?

Thanks for the advice!
jw
Posted to alt.home.repair

programmer.py wrote:
My french doors are double-paned. I don't even know if 'pane' is the
right terminology because there are no muttons in the door. It's just
a big sheet of glass -- a quick unofficial measurement is 21 1/2" x
66". The french door is wood, not metal.

I managed to bust the first pane of glass in my door while mowing
today . Is this hard to replace? Just looking at the door, it
seems simple. Unhinge door, laying it flat. Pop out the outer
molding, pull out the broken glass, put in a new pane, seal and
replace moulding. Could it be this simple? And would I save much
versus just paying someone to do it?

No, it isn't that simple. True double panes are sealed with an inert gas
between them.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 7:09�am, "dadiOH" wrote:
programmer.py wrote:
My french doors are double-paned. �I don't even know if 'pane' is the
right terminology because there are no muttons in the door. �It's just
a big sheet of glass -- a quick unofficial measurement is 21 1/2" x
66". �The french door is wood, not metal.

I managed to bust the first pane of glass in my door while mowing
today . �Is this hard to replace? �Just looking at the door, it
seems simple. �Unhinge door, laying it flat. �Pop out the outer
molding, pull out the broken glass, put in a new pane, seal and
replace moulding. �Could it be this simple? �And would I save much
versus just paying someone to do it?

No, it isn't that simple. �True double panes are sealed with an inert gas
between them.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

if its a sealed glass unit find a local glass shop take the entire
door off its hinges to the shop. they disassemble and install new
sealked glass unit the same day.

not expensive either.'

pittsburgh window and door did my 3 foot by 3 foot picture window for
under 80 bucks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:

... True double panes are sealed with an inert gas between them.

So 2 panes with air between them are not "true" double panes? :-)

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Ed is offline

If you don't have thermopane (insulated) glass then you can replace
just one pane. HOWEVER, glass in a door is required to be tempered;
you can't just use window glass.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jul 17, 12:53*am, "programmer.py" wrote:
My french doors are double-paned. *I don't even know if 'pane' is the
right terminology because there are no muttons in the door. *It's just
a big sheet of glass -- a quick unofficial measurement is 21 1/2" x
66". *The french door is wood, not metal.

I managed to bust the first pane of glass in my door while mowing
today . *Is this hard to replace? *Just looking at the door, it
seems simple. *Unhinge door, laying it flat. *Pop out the outer
molding, pull out the broken glass, put in a new pane, seal and
replace moulding. *Could it be this simple? *And would I save much
versus just paying someone to do it?

Thanks for the advice!
jw

No need to remove the door, but you do have to replace the entire
*unit*, not just the broken pane.

If you DIY, depending on the glass company, you will probably save $75-
$100 for the service calls. (one to measure - one to install)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote:
[...]

Note that if you simply buy the glass from a glass company to install
yourself, many or most glass companies will NOT guarantee it. Too easy
to mess it up and lose the seal. You may be able to buy the replacement
assembly, including the plastic frame and decorative grid, from a door
company, if it is a stock common size. (And I do mean door company, not
the big-box.) Switching that is a two-person job, by the way- not
because it is heavy, but because it takes 4 hands. Usual caveats about
door glass needing to be tempered apply, of course.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jul 21, 3:48*am, aemeijers wrote:

.) Switching that is a two-person job, by the way- not
because it is heavy, but because it takes 4 hands.

Speak for yourself