Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tiling a shower floor

Just brainstorming here, expecting No for an answer. If I have a
prefabricated shower floor and I want a tile floor, can I instead just
tile the prefab floor instead of taking it out and starting all over
with pre-pan and paper and all that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

If the plastic shower pan has been set on a bed of concrete (as many
plastic shower pans and tubs are), then it would probably have the
stability to hold up under the tile. This method for installing plastic
poducts was code in place I lived.

On Sat 12 Jul 2008 07:32:27p, Art told us...

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 07(VII)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Probably so, but you could test it by drilling a tiny whole through the
shower pan to see what you hit. It could easily be patched if you choose
to continue using the shower pan as is, whether it's supported by concrete
or not.

On Wed 16 Jul 2008 10:48:08a, Harlan Messinger told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
If the plastic shower pan has been set on a bed of concrete (as many
plastic shower pans and tubs are), then it would probably have the
stability to hold up under the tile. This method for installing plastic
poducts was code in place I lived.

On Sat 12 Jul 2008 07:32:27p, Art told us...

A plastic shower pan could never hold the weight without flexing and
cracking the tile.

"Harlan Messinger" wrote in message
Just brainstorming here, expecting No for an answer. If I have a
prefabricated shower floor and I want a tile floor, can I instead just
tile the prefab floor instead of taking it out and starting all over
with pre-pan and paper and all that?

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 07(VII)/17(XVII)/08(MMVIII)
Cry 'Ribbid' and loose the Frogs of War!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Good idea, thanks.

I was just reading up on Ditra after reading a thread here on EasyMat
where others mentioned it. Does it help avoid this kind of cracking?

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
If the plastic shower pan has been set on a bed of concrete (as many
plastic shower pans and tubs are), then it would probably have the
stability to hold up under the tile. This method for installing plastic
poducts was code in place I lived.

On Sat 12 Jul 2008 07:32:27p, Art told us...

A plastic shower pan could never hold the weight without flexing and
cracking the tile.

"Harlan Messinger" wrote in message
Just brainstorming here, expecting No for an answer. If I have a
prefabricated shower floor and I want a tile floor, can I instead just
tile the prefab floor instead of taking it out and starting all over
with pre-pan and paper and all that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm not familiar with those products.

On Fri 18 Jul 2008 02:23:40a, Harlan Messinger told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
If the plastic shower pan has been set on a bed of concrete (as many
plastic shower pans and tubs are), then it would probably have the
stability to hold up under the tile. This method for installing
plastic poducts was code in place I lived.

On Sat 12 Jul 2008 07:32:27p, Art told us...

A plastic shower pan could never hold the weight without flexing and
cracking the tile.

"Harlan Messinger" wrote in
message ...
Just brainstorming here, expecting No for an answer. If I have a
prefabricated shower floor and I want a tile floor, can I instead
just tile the prefab floor instead of taking it out and starting
all over with pre-pan and paper and all that?

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/18(XVIII)/08(MMVIII)
Should I piddle on his foot? (Rosebud,
the Bassalope)

Floor tiling - making up for uneven floor level. Mark S. UK diy 3 August 11th 06 09:17 AM
re shower tiling fred UK diy 2 March 21st 06 07:20 PM
Tiling the shower [email protected] Home Repair 4 July 20th 05 03:17 AM
Tiling in shower [email protected] UK diy 7 March 11th 05 09:48 AM
Tiling Bathroom Floor/Shower REW Home Repair 5 November 5th 04 03:09 PM