Default Tiling in shower

This big "virgin" project is just starting, research into WTF just
finishing...!

But read conflicting advice tiling in shower area.

Shower alcove is currently fully tiled, but these will be ripped off.
If plasterboard okay, will just reseal and retile. If any sign of
moisture, will replace with the special waterproof boards before
tiling.

So for adhesive, need to use stuff designed for showers. And the same
for grout.

However, in teh "internal" corners of the shower where the 2 walls
meet, Ive read conflicting ways to seal.

One says "use sealant in the corner", and one does not. Today, I'l 99%
sure the corners are just grouted....

So - whats the tips for internal tiled corners in a shower alcove?

TIA!

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
One says "use sealant in the corner", and one does not. Today, I'l 99%
sure the corners are just grouted....

So - whats the tips for internal tiled corners in a shower alcove?

TIA!
Our shower cabin was only grouted in the corners and we used it for 6 years; when we ripped it off (the tray cracked - don't ask), it was as dry as a bone in the corners. I don't think you'll have a problem, as long as the grout is well packed in and of the appropriate grade.

Cheers

Davide

All good answers - thanks. I'll see what it is like when its removed.
All walls are internal plasterboard (I think) - no idea on the quality
or fixings until I remove it all. I like the idea of sealant right in
the corner, and potential grout on top.

My only concern with sealant is that I am really crap at doing a neat
job with it. Using good-quality masking tape helps, but I never get a
decent finish. (Well - when I fitted a decent shower door last year -
it was *perfect* seems a shame to rip it out!). Also - our sealant in
the current shower does go mouldy after even 1 year. (Current showe
has flat tles at bottom before tray - this will change).

I've tried top-quality branded stuff and it doesn't make any
difference. One of the (many) reasons to gut the room and start again
with better drainage out...

So - any tips for nice sealant lines!?

(PS - thanks for all the help so far on this NG - all bits bar tiles
ordered!)

Tiling Shower Enclosure Chris Allmark UK diy 7 October 5th 04 12:40 AM
tiling shower william UK diy 1 September 22nd 04 11:06 PM
shower tiling billy UK diy 0 September 1st 03 10:45 PM
Tiling a shower, how to transition from backer board (durock) to drywall Rich Home Repair 3 August 28th 03 12:29 AM
Tiling Shower Area - adhesive spreading and tile cutting problems JohnB UK diy 7 July 20th 03 10:43 AM