Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to troubleshoot my A/C?

Hi

My central A/C is not working as of today. We got up today Saturday
and went to the lake with our kid and dog, had a great time, came back
to an 86 degrees home.
The blower in the addict works we can hear it but the condenser
outside isn't.
It tries to kick in it seems but doesn't. I pulled the "breaker" out
and puit it back in that is located in a metal box close to the
condenser but it didn't help. I went in the garage and tried to reset
the A/C circuit breaker that didn't help either.
I replace my filter every 2 months (They can last 90 days) and I
pulled the filter which was only 45 days old and it was extremely
filthy, a dark reddish color covered the whole filter. It is usually
only dust, a grayish color. I showed it to my wife and daughter and
none of us has a clue where that reddish dust could come from. Is it
related to the condenser not running outside?
The thermostat seems to be working fine, I checked the wiring in the
back of it, and it all checks out. Could the thermostat be at fault
here? How to know for sure?
We will call a technician on Monday if all else fails that we try but
I figured I would ask here first and see if it could be a sinple fix.
I read on a troubleshooting site that condensers have sometimes reset
buttons but I haven't been able to locate one on my unit, but I
haven't removed the panels to really take a good look inside either
yet.

Thanks for the help

Patrick
(In real HotAtlanta ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

varois83 wrote:
My central A/C is not working as of today. We got up today Saturday
and went to the lake with our kid and dog, had a great time, came back
to an 86 degrees home.

Time to go back to the lake...

The blower in the addict works we can hear it but the condenser
outside isn't.

The addict in the attic may be the problem...

filthy, a dark reddish color covered the whole filter. It is usually
only dust, a grayish color. I showed it to my wife and daughter and
none of us has a clue where that reddish dust could come from. Is it
related to the condenser not running outside?

I'd guess "yes"...

Think it's dead...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi

Ok I think I found out where the red color came in the filter, my kid
spray painted a model with a dark reddish color and I guess particles
went into the air duct. That should take care of that mystery.

Patrick
Posted to alt.home.repair

varois83 wrote:

[...]

Still got copper tubing?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd suggest to google AC repair, on the web. Got to be some sites out there.
The clue is how the outside unit tries to kick on, but doesn't quite run.
Might neeed a couple replacement parts, to make it work. Call a tech on
Monday sounds like the right answer.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus