Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Breaker box ain't got no holes!?

I am installing a 120v water heater in a 208/120 breaker box. Oddly, there
are no knockouts. Is that common in 208/120v?

I see three options; your advice on their legality would be appreciated.

1) I can cut a hole with a hole saw. Not a pleasant chore, but possible.
2) There is an outlet in a box just below the breaker box, connected to it
by a 1/2" conduit. I could connect my MC cable to the outlet box and run
the wires into the breaker box by the 1/2" conduit. I presume 1/2" conduit
can take two sets of #12 cable.
3) I can run my circuit to the outlet box and attach it to the wires that
feed the outlet. The outlet is only used for a radio and the water heater
is only 13a, so there should be plenty of capacity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jack" wrote in message
.. .
I am installing a 120v water heater in a 208/120 breaker box. Oddly, there
are no knockouts. Is that common in 208/120v?

I see three options; your advice on their legality would be appreciated.

1) I can cut a hole with a hole saw. Not a pleasant chore, but possible.
2) There is an outlet in a box just below the breaker box, connected to it
by a 1/2" conduit. I could connect my MC cable to the outlet box and run
the wires into the breaker box by the 1/2" conduit. I presume 1/2"
conduit can take two sets of #12 cable.
3) I can run my circuit to the outlet box and attach it to the wires that
feed the outlet. The outlet is only used for a radio and the water heater
is only 13a, so there should be plenty of capacity.

More than one wire can go through a single knockout.

If your wire will not fit through an existing one, relocate one of the 110v
to create space.

This option is 100% legal. The others I have doubts about.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote in message

"jack" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

All the existing holes have conduit connected to them, so they aren't
available. It might be legal, but it isn't possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jack" wrote in message
.. .
I am installing a 120v water heater in a 208/120 breaker box. Oddly, there
are no knockouts. Is that common in 208/120v?

I see three options; your advice on their legality would be appreciated.

1) I can cut a hole with a hole saw. Not a pleasant chore, but possible.
2) There is an outlet in a box just below the breaker box, connected to it
by a 1/2" conduit. I could connect my MC cable to the outlet box and run
the wires into the breaker box by the 1/2" conduit. I presume 1/2"
conduit can take two sets of #12 cable.
3) I can run my circuit to the outlet box and attach it to the wires that
feed the outlet. The outlet is only used for a radio and the water heater
is only 13a, so there should be plenty of capacity.

A 7/8" hole saw cuts you a 1/2" knockout. Drill a few for the future

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
"jack" wrote in message
.. .
I am installing a 120v water heater in a 208/120 breaker box. Oddly, there
are no knockouts. Is that common in 208/120v?

I see three options; your advice on their legality would be appreciated.

1) I can cut a hole with a hole saw. Not a pleasant chore, but possible.
2) There is an outlet in a box just below the breaker box, connected to it
by a 1/2" conduit. I could connect my MC cable to the outlet box and run
the wires into the breaker box by the 1/2" conduit. I presume 1/2"
conduit can take two sets of #12 cable.
3) I can run my circuit to the outlet box and attach it to the wires that
feed the outlet. The outlet is only used for a radio and the water heater
is only 13a, so there should be plenty of capacity.

A 7/8" hole saw cuts you a 1/2" knockout. Drill a few for the future

What the other guy said about a hole punch (Greenlee?). Makes a much
nicer hole, and little or no debris inside, and no warping of the panel.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
"jack" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Big difference in price between a 7/8" hole saw and a greenlee punch,
besides, if he has a panel with no KO's in it, it's a commercial panel, it
ain't gonna warp

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jack" wrote in message
.. .

All the existing holes have conduit connected to them, so they aren't
available. It might be legal, but it isn't possible.

I missed that part of the post. Sorry.

The other posters have good suggestions.

I would have to wonder why everything is in conduit. Is the a commercial
building? Or a Condo type project?

Conduit may be a requirement for certain structures and locations.

Are they all in use? Sometimes when I have to cut open a wall to pull a
wire I add some empty conduit sections to the panel box for future use. I
cap both ends to prevent critter entry.

Try a rental center for the proper tool. It sounds expensive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jack wrote:
I am installing a 120v water heater in a 208/120 breaker box. Oddly,
there are no knockouts. Is that common in 208/120v?

I see three options; your advice on their legality would be
appreciated.
1) I can cut a hole with a hole saw. Not a pleasant chore, but
possible.

Why do you say that? A metal-cutting hole-saw should do the job in less than
two minutes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:

"aemeijers" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
"jack" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

The much maligned Harbor Freight has a manual KO punch set rather cheap
that would probably do the job. They also have a hydraulic driver
available.

There is also the option of the Greenlee KO sized step bit, which is
what I use for the small number of times I need to make holes in pull
boxes and whatnot.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Pete C. wrote:
The much maligned Harbor Freight has a manual KO punch set rather cheap
that would probably do the job. They also have a hydraulic driver
available.

If the box steel isn't harder than the punch...

HF -- ya pays ya money and takes ya chances...

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
The much maligned Harbor Freight has a manual KO punch set rather cheap
that would probably do the job. They also have a hydraulic driver
available.

If the box steel isn't harder than the punch...

HF -- ya pays ya money and takes ya chances...

Yep, which is why having a HF retail store nearby where you can see the
items in person is a huge benefit. There are a number of gems in their
lineup, as well as many more perfectly serviceable for home shop use
items.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Pete C. wrote:
Yes, but the HF set is half that. They may not last a lifetime in pro
use however.

The question w/ HF is will they last a single use???

IME it's been a crapshoot...some stuff is amazingly good for the price;
some is pure junk. The problem is there's almost no way to tell a priori...

Since there's no local outlet, I've pretty much given them. Doesn't
mean anybody else needs to take the advice, I was simply making a
(mostly) lighthearted aside...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Pete C. wrote:
Yep, which is why having a HF retail store nearby where you can see the
items in person is a huge benefit. There are a number of gems in their
lineup, as well as many more perfectly serviceable for home shop use
items.

Wish I'd seen this comment before the other...is there an echo here?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
Yep, which is why having a HF retail store nearby where you can see the
items in person is a huge benefit. There are a number of gems in their
lineup, as well as many more perfectly serviceable for home shop use
items.

For the $15 it is sure to make one or two holes.

I retract the rental suggestion. This is the way to go.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote in message

"Pete C." wrote in message
Yep, which is why having a HF retail store nearby where you can see the
items in person is a huge benefit. There are a number of gems in their
lineup, as well as many more perfectly serviceable for home shop use
items.

For the $15 it is sure to make one or two holes.

I retract the rental suggestion. This is the way to go.

Colbyt

I still don't know why. To use a 1/2" KO greenlee punch, you have to drill a
hole practically that large to fit the bolt through. You may as well use a
7/8" hole saw. Drill once and you're done... and it's cheaper

Posted to alt.home.repair

Last time I needed a romex connector hole, I did it with a Unibit step
drill. It's bigger than 3/4, so I had to buy the $30 bit. Paid for itself
that day.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus