Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tankless electric water heater question

When you install an electric tankless water heater, do you have the
electrician hook up the wiring first or do you have the plumber hook up the
supply lines first?

I am thinking the electrical should be hooked up first but not sure.

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Mine is gas and everything done by gas company at same time but if I had a
small electric one I would have electician do his job first since it should
be a no brainer as long as you give him specs for the heater.

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
When you install an electric tankless water heater, do you have the
electrician hook up the wiring first or do you have the plumber hook up
the supply lines first?

I am thinking the electrical should be hooked up first but not sure.

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art" wrote in message
m...
Mine is gas and everything done by gas company at same time but if I had a
small electric one I would have electician do his job first since it
should be a no brainer as long as you give him specs for the heater.

If possible, you install the most "disruptive" systems first and then work
the other stuff around.

For example, duct work and waste lines go in first. Then other plumbing
"works around" the ducts and pipes. It's "nice" for fixed appliances
including HVAC and water heaters to be connected to duct work and plumbing.
At this point, the wiring can be neatly connected to the appliance. It's
easy to run wires around pipes and ducts but the reverse ain't so each. I

If you have good plans the electrician can wire leaving coils of wire
hanging where he things it should be able to reach wherever the appliance
needs the juice. With the price of copper today, this might not be such a
great idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
When you install an electric tankless water heater, do you have the
electrician hook up the wiring first or do you have the plumber hook up
the supply lines first?

I am thinking the electrical should be hooked up first but not sure.

Let the plumber do his job first. The electrician has more flexibility in
locating the wiring. You could have the electrician prewire the unit with a
plug and cord or if it is a really big unit have it prewired with flex. It
could make wiring easier later if the unit is located in a confined space.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 10:18*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
When you install an electric tankless water heater, do you have the
electrician hook up the wiring first or do you have the plumber hook up the
supply lines first?

I am thinking the electrical should be hooked up first but not sure.

Thanks,

MC

First you hang the tank, then whoever shows up first

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 8, 10:18*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
When you install an electric tankless water heater, do you have the
electrician hook up the wiring first or do you have the plumber hook up the
supply lines first?

I am thinking the electrical should be hooked up first but not sure.

Thanks,

MC

From a logical standpoint, working with plumbing is more restrictive
than wiring, even using PEX. The nature of piping is that it is always
a compromise with the space available, the fittings that can be
obtained, and access to the input source. Wiring, OTOH, can be run
over, under, around and through obstacles. Some say this is why so
many plumbers have ornery dispositions, a truism I can't verify.

Jpe
Posted to alt.home.repair
cyd cyd is offline

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

When you install an electric tankless water heater, do you have the
electrician hook up the wiring first or do you have the plumber hook up
the supply lines first?

I am thinking the electrical should be hooked up first but not sure.

Thanks,

MC

We just had one of these installed. The electrician came out and put
in the wiring first, then the plumber did the pipes, then the
electrician returned after it was plumbed and turned it on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 11:18*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
When you install an electric tankless water heater, do you have the
electrician hook up the wiring first or do you have the plumber hook up the
supply lines first?

I am thinking the electrical should be hooked up first but not sure.

It's usually easier to route electrical lines than plumbing lines, so
my preferred order is plumbing first. If both are easily routed/
accessible, it doesn't matter as much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 11:18�pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
When you install an electric tankless water heater, do you have the
electrician hook up the wiring first or do you have the plumber hook up the
supply lines first?

I am thinking the electrical should be hooked up first but not sure.

Thanks,

MC

STOP!whole house electric tankless tend to not work well, likely need
200 amps for just heating water if you live in northern area where it
gets cold.

cold winter water temperatures a ery likely disappointment.

electric tankless just doesnt have enough BTUs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Jul 8, 11:18?pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
When you install an electric tankless water heater, do you have the
electrician hook up the wiring first or do you have the plumber hook up
the
supply lines first?

I am thinking the electrical should be hooked up first but not sure.

Thanks,

MC

STOP!whole house electric tankless tend to not work well, likely need
200 amps for just heating water if you live in northern area where it
gets cold.

cold winter water temperatures a ery likely disappointment.

electric tankless just doesnt have enough BTUs.

In my case it is ok. I am using it only to heat the kitchen dishwasher and
laundry washer in the east wing of the house, the west wing is heater by
another independent tank heater. I am in Miami so the rise I need is not as
high as the northern states. Electric service is ok, it will need 3
independent double pole breakers 240V 3x39 amps. I am getting the Eemax
series 3, with a 5gpm demand I will get 40 degree rise out of 29kw.

Thanks,

MC