Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where to buy a Kenmore plastic refrigerator bin?

Our fridge is about 5 years old. A bin broke; JB Weld fixed it for about
two days. I guess we need a new bin.

Any idea how to get one? I expect Sears sells them, but also expect they
are much cheaper some place else. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jack" wrote in
:

Our fridge is about 5 years old. A bin broke; JB Weld fixed it for
about two days. I guess we need a new bin.

Any idea how to get one? I expect Sears sells them, but also expect
they are much cheaper some place else. Thanks.

www.repairclinic.com

You need the model number off of the frig plate.

I've successfully used PVC cement (for plastic plumbing drainpipe) on some
plastic parts since it welds the plastic vs trying to glue it. Obviously if
the plastic is PVC it has the best chance of success.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"jack" wrote in message
. ..
Our fridge is about 5 years old. A bin broke; JB Weld fixed it for about
two days. I guess we need a new bin.

Any idea how to get one? I expect Sears sells them, but also expect they
are much cheaper some place else. Thanks.

Try any appliance dealer or some on-line places. www.repairclinic.com comes
to mind. You won't find them at a typical home center though. If you know
what the real brand is, you may do better finding a dealer of that brand
rather than Sears.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
"jack" wrote in
:

Our fridge is about 5 years old. A bin broke; JB Weld fixed it for
about two days. I guess we need a new bin.

Any idea how to get one? I expect Sears sells them, but also expect
they are much cheaper some place else. Thanks.

www.repairclinic.com

You need the model number off of the frig plate.

I've successfully used PVC cement (for plastic plumbing drainpipe) on some
plastic parts since it welds the plastic vs trying to glue it. Obviously
if
the plastic is PVC it has the best chance of success.

I found it for between $76 and $88. I am not sure if it is PVC, and with
the epoxy on it already PVC cement probably won't work. But for $76, I will
try epoxy again. Maybe the epoxy will stick to epoxy.
God, $76 for a plastic bin?!

Posted to alt.home.repair

jack wrote:

Our fridge is about 5 years old. A bin broke; JB Weld fixed it for about
two days. I guess we need a new bin.

The bin can be repaired easily, but you have to use the right
adhesive, not the exact wrong one, such as JB Weld, other epoxies, or
super glue. Get some clear PVC plastic pipe solvent weld, which will
dissolve the PVC slightly and fuse it back together. But first remove
the existing epoxy by peeling it off with your finger or a razor blade
or by applying brake fluid. Brake fluid will not attack PVC at all
but will dissolve many other substances, including paint (be careful).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jack" wrote in
:

"Red Green" wrote in message
"jack" wrote in
:

Our fridge is about 5 years old. A bin broke; JB Weld fixed it for
about two days. I guess we need a new bin.

Any idea how to get one? I expect Sears sells them, but also expect
they are much cheaper some place else. Thanks.

www.repairclinic.com

You need the model number off of the frig plate.

I've successfully used PVC cement (for plastic plumbing drainpipe) on
some plastic parts since it welds the plastic vs trying to glue it.
Obviously if
the plastic is PVC it has the best chance of success.

I found it for between $76 and $88. I am not sure if it is PVC, and
with the epoxy on it already PVC cement probably won't work. But for
$76, I will try epoxy again. Maybe the epoxy will stick to epoxy.
God, $76 for a plastic bin?!

Is it white or clear?

If white, maybe you can fix it with a "Bandaid" from the bottom if that's
where it's broken and you won't see the patching. Get a strip of plastic
(PVC hopefully). Bridge the break either lengthwise or Bandaid style
using the PVC cement.

Note:
- If drawer was in frig let it warm up to RT and so it's
totally dry.
- Stuff sets quick within seconds. Once it sets it's fused
and there's no moving it.
- Before gluing anything, make sure the thickness of the Bandaid
does not interfere with the drawer operation.