Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Problem with washing machine

Don't post much but I do enjoy reading daily. Thanks in advance for
your help!

Admiral Mega 22 Plus Heavy Duty 2 speed Model: LATA200AAE
12 years old. Never had a problem at all.

Gentle cycle and Permanent Press cycle both work fine.

Normal Wash has 4 sections:

Wash
Spin
Rinse
Spin -- doesn’t work; the washer remains full of water from the rinse
cycle and the knob moves, but the washer does nothing.

I’m thinking it needs a new timer. What say ye? Anything else I need
to consider and check before I buy a new timer?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Gentle cycle and Permanent Press cycle both work fine.

Normal Wash has 4 sections:
WashSpinRinseSpin -- doesn’t work; the washer remains full of water from the
rinse
cycle and the knob moves, but the washer does nothing.
I’m thinking it needs a new timer. What say ye?

our OLD washer had 4 cycles too..over time the various functions began to
fail, one by one til only had the Gentle cycle would work all the way thru.
I called a local appliance repair place and they said 'replacement' was the
answer. I took the old one out and it had probably 20-30 sets of contact
"points" in there.. Now if I wanted to take a "points file"... (Does
anyone here even know/remember what points or a points file is ?)
It cost somewhere around $ 90.00 IIRC.. Put it in and everything worked fine
after that for the next 5 years til we sold the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Test the lid switch first. A bad lid switch will prevent spin.

Wait, did you say it goes through the first spin after wash? Then
maybe you're right, timer.

Don't post much but I do enjoy reading daily. Thanks in advance for
your help!

Admiral Mega 22 Plus Heavy Duty 2 speed Model: LATA200AAE
12 years old. Never had a problem at all.

Gentle cycle and Permanent Press cycle both work fine.

Normal Wash has 4 sections:

Wash
Spin
Rinse
Spin -- doesnt work; the washer remains full of water from the rinse
cycle and the knob moves, but the washer does nothing.

Im thinking it needs a new timer. What say ye? Anything else I need
to consider and check before I buy a new timer?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 30, 3:52 pm, Rick-Meister wrote:
Test the lid switch first. A bad lid switch will prevent spin.

Wait, did you say it goes through the first spin after wash? Then
maybe you're right, timer.

Don't post much but I do enjoy reading daily. Thanks in advance for
your help!

Admiral Mega 22 Plus Heavy Duty 2 speed Model: LATA200AAE
12 years old. Never had a problem at all.

Gentle cycle and Permanent Press cycle both work fine.

Normal Wash has 4 sections:

Wash
Spin
Rinse
Spin -- doesn’t work; the washer remains full of water from the rinse
cycle and the knob moves, but the washer does nothing.

I’m thinking it needs a new timer. What say ye? Anything else I need
to consider and check before I buy a new timer?

Yeah. It does the first spin but doesn't do the 2nd one. Is there
even anything else it could be??

Thanks for the help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

This may sound stupid, but are you sure you don't have an out of
balance load? If so, the machine will go into "tilt" mode and stop
spinning and stop pumping, but the timer will keep running. You come
down to the machine thinking that it's completed the cycle because the
timer is off and find a tub full of water.

Either remove the clothes or rebalance the load and try it again.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 30, 2:53*pm, wrote:
.
snip

I’m thinking it needs a new timer. *What say ye? *Anything else I need
to consider and check before I buy a new timer?

Talk to the gurus at repairclinic.com for advice and parts. Their web
site is very good for general info, too. Good luck.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

I was thinking the lid safety switch.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Rick-Meister" wrote in message
This may sound stupid, but are you sure you don't have an out of
balance load? If so, the machine will go into "tilt" mode and stop
spinning and stop pumping, but the timer will keep running. You come
down to the machine thinking that it's completed the cycle because the
timer is off and find a tub full of water.

Either remove the clothes or rebalance the load and try it again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 30, 8:38*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I was thinking the lid safety switch.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"Rick-Meister" wrote in message

This may sound stupid, but are you sure you don't have an out of
balance load? If so, the machine will go into "tilt" mode and stop
spinning and stop pumping, but the timer will keep running. You come
down to the machine thinking that it's completed the cycle because the
timer is off and find a tub full of water.

Either remove the clothes or rebalance the load and try it again.

Had a similar problem on an Admiral/Maytag. Get a new timer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

************************************************** ************88

If it is a mechanical timer, take it out, and clean the contacts with a fine
fingernail file or sander.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 30, 10:05 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Thanks to all for your help. If ya think of anything else please let
me know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Jun 30, 10:05 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

************************************************** ********************8

Just jiggleing the connector on the timer has solved problems for me in the
past, also.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If it is a mechanical timer, take it out, and clean the contacts with a fine
fingernail file or sander.

Thanks to all for your help. If ya think of anything else please let
me know.

If you are going to clean the contacts use something like a fresh
dollar bill soaked in isopropyl alcohol pressured between the
contacts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 5:59 pm, wrote:
On Jul 1, 4:46 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

wrote:
Did that help the machine to run?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Haven't had a chance to check it out yet. Life always seems to get in
the way : )

Bit of an update. As we ran it this evening we can hear the timer and
it seemed to click right through the second spin cycle but never
activated it. Not sure where to go from here. Still could be the
dirty contact points I guess.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 20:34:09 GMT, "Rudy"
wrote:

Gentle cycle and Permanent Press cycle both work fine.

Normal Wash has 4 sections:
WashSpinRinseSpin -- doesn’t work; the washer remains full of water from the
rinse
cycle and the knob moves, but the washer does nothing.
I’m thinking it needs a new timer. What say ye?

our OLD washer had 4 cycles too..over time the various functions began to
fail, one by one til only had the Gentle cycle would work all the way thru.
I called a local appliance repair place and they said 'replacement' was the
answer. I took the old one out and it had probably 20-30 sets of contact
"points" in there.. Now if I wanted to take a "points file"... (Does
anyone here even know/remember what points or a points file is ?)

I have a point file.

It cost somewhere around $ 90.00 IIRC..

That's an awful lot for a point file. I'll sell you mine for 45,
shipping included.

Put it in and everything worked fine
after that for the next 5 years til we sold the house.

Good to know.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 22:18:12 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Jun 30, 10:05 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

If it's a mechanical timer, if it does the first spin, the contracts
are most likely ok. There's very likely only one set of spin
contacts, but several cams that close them. Maybe you can figure out
something when you have a good look at the timer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Jun 30, 10:05 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

BTW, do you have a second spin in the other cycles? I know sta-press
has two on a whirlpool.

I doubt there is any difference between the first spin and the second,
except a different cam to move the contracts. I don't know what the
cams look like on your machine (and it's been close to 30 years since
I saw them on a machine like mine.)

P&M

Washing machine problem Marky P UK diy 2 October 20th 06 09:39 PM
Washing Machine Problem [email protected] Home Repair 4 August 11th 06 01:26 AM
Washing Machine Problem Nodge UK diy 0 May 18th 06 11:36 AM
Washing Machine Problem Grumps UK diy 7 November 6th 05 08:40 PM
Washing machine problem Dinah Home Repair 7 August 13th 05 04:02 AM