Posted to alt.home.repair

Default varying the ratio on JB Weld or other epoxy

I want something like epoxy but that will not dry hard and brittle. Tried
the standard 50/50 mix with JB Weld on a piece of cardboard and it cracks
when bent, but I understand that this is way it was designed.

On another test piece I put 75% hardner and 25% "steel", then next to (not
touching it) did a spot of 75% steel and 25% hardner. 17 hours later
neither one seems cured.

The 75% steel spot did the best, it is tack free and flexible, feels sort of
rubbery. This is almost exactly what I need if it stays like this over the
long term.

The 75% hardener spot feels tacky and has not "skinned" yet.

I know that it's a chemical vulcanization so I expect the cure time on both
to be longer than a 50/50 mix. Am I wrong for expecting it to cure at all?

I'm generally curious about the possibility of varying the ratio on 2-part
epoxy's, but also am specifically looking for something that dries softer/
more flexible than jb weld but harder than latex or silicone caulk. Doesn't
have to be extremely durable, just maintain cohesion and at least moderate
adhesion. Also would be nice to have the following:

- post cure service temp of -40c to 110c
- curing process should not corrode soft metals like copper or solder (like
an acetate or ammonia curing silcone RTV)
- not trap small particles after curing. Example - sprinkle some graphite
dust on white cured caulk and it will get stuck in the silicone
- not "set up" quickly. I need about 30 min. to smear it around.

Purpose is sort of a special electronics project. It will cover and protect
some silver based conductive paint on a circuit board. I know it helps to
know the application but that's about the best I can explain it. Appreciate
any help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"campbell_09" wrote:

[...]

1. I don't think most epoxies tolerate a lot of variation in the
prescribed mix ratio. I wouldn't expect your experiment to work out well.

2. Hysol has a good assortment of industrial epoxies; one of them might
have the properties you seek. Not available at your local hardware store.

3. For your application, why not use conformal coating? It's usually
dipped in production applications, but you can buy a DIY spray can, too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"campbell_09" wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I'll look at the conformal coatings. The ones I found have acetate
though, but they are made for electronics. I thought acetate was corrosive
to most metals used in electronics though. Maybe I have something to learn.
I sent an email to the company about this product, will see what they say.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"campbell_09" wrote in message

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"campbell_09" wrote:

[...]

link

http://www.techspray.com/newinfo/2102.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you don't mix epoxies in the ratio specified, they will not cure
properly and excess of one material will slowly degrade. There are a
variety of epoxies designed to be rigid and flexible and you should try
to find one of these. Also, you can modify somewhat yourself with inert
additives. I've used carbon black, sand and fibrous additives to help
match intended use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 30, 12:54*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

*"campbell_09" wrote:
I want something like epoxy but that will not dry hard and brittle. *Tried
the standard 50/50 mix with JB Weld on a piece of cardboard and it cracks
when bent, but I understand that this is way it was designed.

On another test piece I put 75% hardner and 25% "steel", then next to (not
touching it) did *a spot of 75% steel and 25% hardner. *17 hours later
neither one seems cured.

1. I don't think most epoxies tolerate a lot of variation in the
prescribed mix ratio. I wouldn't expect your experiment to work out well.

Agreed.

The prescribed epoxy mix ratio gives optimum strength and adhesive
power. Fiddling with the mix degrades the final product. They will
tolerate some deviation but too much moves you from hard to "cheesy"
to sticky, unusable mess. If you want flexibility, start with a
flexible resin, i.e. silicones or urethanes. There are non-curing
materials that set by water or solvent loss that might be useful
(acrylates, PVC)

Regards
-J

SWR ratio #'s Ernie Werbel Electronics 3 April 23rd 07 12:30 AM
Power shower, rapidly varying temperature [email protected] UK diy 9 March 3rd 06 09:36 PM
Does fresh epoxy stick to dried epoxy? Icepick Woodworking 14 April 23rd 05 04:06 AM
Vokera boiler problem - varying pressure Aldrich UK diy 4 February 23rd 05 02:15 PM
Using varying 5VDC signal to control voltage on 110VAC circuit David P. Kleinschmidt Electronics 3 February 18th 04 05:36 AM