Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Power shower, rapidly varying temperature

Hi

Just moved into a rented flat. It's got a power shower (no pump) and
worked fine for a few weeks. It's now developed a consistently swinging
temperature, going from way too cold to way too hot in a cycle of about
30 seconds.

I don't know where this problem could have come from, and assume it's
an issue with the electronics of the shower, but is there anything I'm
missing, or that could be easily fixed? It would be great to avoid
hassling (and therefore being hassled) by my rental company.

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Fixit

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi

Just moved into a rented flat. It's got a power shower (no pump) and
worked fine for a few weeks. It's now developed a consistently swinging
temperature, going from way too cold to way too hot in a cycle of about
30 seconds.

I don't know where this problem could have come from, and assume it's
an issue with the electronics of the shower, but is there anything I'm
missing, or that could be easily fixed? It would be great to avoid
hassling (and therefore being hassled) by my rental company.

TIA

power shower and no pump??? a power shower means it has a pump is it not
just an electric shower

Posted to uk.d-i-y

power shower and no pump??? a power shower means it has a pump is it not
just an electric shower

Oops. I guess it's an electric shower then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do you mean an electrically heated shower?

Yes

If so then the chances are the flow-rate is too low for the temperature
selected. If this happens then the water gets too hot and the shower
shuts down for a while.
Detection is either by pressure or output temperature.

Check all causes of low flowrate. I'd start with the showerhead being
scaled up as a first guess, then perhaps a service valve not fully
opened. Or, if it's the sort with a manual tap beneath the unit just
forgetting to fully open the tap each time can cause this - my MiL had
dreadful trouble with our shower 'cos she couldn't read the small print
on the tap (ALWAYS FULL OPEN THIS TAP) with her glasses off - the
default state for showering.
to the man behind the curtain.

Thanks for the advice. What confuses me is that the shower worked
perfectly well for the first few days we moved in, but this is suddenly
a constant problem. I think you're very likely correct about the flow
rate being the problem, but as far as I can see we haven't made any
changes to this.

What do you mean by the showerhead being "scaled up"? Does that mean
it's designed to in some way reduce flow? It's certainly a pretty poor
shower head.
I don't think it can be any of the other things you mention, as we
haven't meddled with anything like that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Mannix

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

It's possible there is an inlet filter and a piece of debris has got into
it. Take the shower head off and run it with just the hose. If it exhibits
the same symptoms, it will be some problem on the inlet (water pressure,
blockage etc). If it doesn't, it's possible the shower head is too scaled up
or something.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Fixit

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Scaled up refers to it being blocked by limescale as in the white stuff in
your kettle

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC

John wrote:

You will find the temperature is lower as you have removed a significant
flow restriction. The holes block with limescale when the water dries off.

Remember - the temperature is a factor of:
1. The electrical power.
2. The rate of water flow over the elements. (Slow it down and it becomes
hotter - too slow and it will trip off)

It may be a sign that the heater element is about to fail. A period of
temperature instability can be a premonition of impending doom.

Electric showers last longer and scale up less if you turn down the
temperature control and flush cold water through before turning the
shower off.

--
David Clark
http://www.publishing.ucl.ac.uk