Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cracking cement question

I set 8 posts in concrete yesterday. Today, I look at them and see half of
them have developed cracks in the concrete, usually just one crack radiating
from the post to the end of the concrete, looking from the top. Should I
worry about this? Is this normal, or an indication that I didn't mix the
concrete right?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Zootal wrote:

I set 8 posts in concrete yesterday. Today, I look at them and see half
of them have developed cracks in the concrete, usually just one crack
radiating from the post to the end of the concrete, looking from the
top. Should I worry about this? Is this normal, or an indication that I
didn't mix the concrete right?

It doesn't really matter much. The concrete is just there to fill up the
hole you dug to bury the post. It adds a little ballast, but that's just a
plus. Jever notice that the utility poles are now put in with expanding
foam?

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in message
Zootal wrote:

I set 8 posts in concrete yesterday. Today, I look at them and see half
of them have developed cracks in the concrete, usually just one crack
radiating from the post to the end of the concrete, looking from the
top. Should I worry about this? Is this normal, or an indication that I
didn't mix the concrete right?

It doesn't really matter much. The concrete is just there to fill up the
hole you dug to bury the post. It adds a little ballast, but that's just a
plus. Jever notice that the utility poles are now put in with expanding
foam?

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Arlington, TX

The first time I set a post I used a wheelbarrow to mix the concrete and was
worried about getting the mix right. Now I just slop everything right in
the hole and mix it there (mixing it around the post). I use 'quickcrete'
from the home labrynth and never had a crack. I'm not sure what type you
use but I don't think it's possible to mix it wrong. May take longer to set
if you use too much water. I think Steve is correct that cracks don't
matter though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Zootal" wrote in message
I set 8 posts in concrete yesterday. Today, I look at them and see half of
them have developed cracks in the concrete, usually just one crack
radiating from the post to the end of the concrete, looking from the top.
Should I worry about this? Is this normal, or an indication that I didn't
mix the concrete right?

I'd be more concered with the posts rotting. If you buried the cement the
post will rot right at the cement line. Better to level the cement above
ground and taper it for rain run off.

http://www.ehow.com/how_14380_install-fence-posts.html

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

My experience shows that concrete cracking occurs as the wooden post expands
or swells from the water in the concrete mix. I normally reduce the effect
by putting a couple of heavy coat hanger wire circles near the top of the
wet concrete to hold it together as it sets.

"Zootal" wrote in message
I set 8 posts in concrete yesterday. Today, I look at them and see half of
them have developed cracks in the concrete, usually just one crack
radiating from the post to the end of the concrete, looking from the top.
Should I worry about this? Is this normal, or an indication that I didn't
mix the concrete right?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ook Ook is offline

Is it possible I did not use enough cement powder? There were no
instructions on the bag, I think we mixed it 6:1. I later found the
1-2-3 formula, which would be 5:1. I used pre-mixed aggregate, my
neighbor had a yard of sand and gravel mix that I hauled to my place,
and we used 5 shovels of that and 1 shovel cement powder. It was a
warm day when we did this, the ground was moist but not wet, and the
area is shaded most of the day. I tapered the concrete so that at the
post it is an inch or more above the ground, and it does indeed taper
away from the post, and I used pressure treated posts rated for ground
contact.

I think the general consensus is to not worry about the cracks? The
posts are most definitely not going anywhere, cracks or not. Will the
cracks let in moisture that can shorten the post life? I don't know
deep the crack goes, they extend from the post to the edge as viewed
from the top, but I've not dug down to see if they run all they way to
the bottom of the post.

Update on cracks - 48 hours later, half of them cracked, and the crack
may be as much as 1/8 inch. on some of them. Just one crack, as if the
posts did indeed swell up (what happens when the posts dry? will the
then be loose in the cement?).

"Zootal" wrote in message

I set 8 posts in concrete yesterday. Today, I look at them and see half of
them have developed cracks in the concrete, usually just one crack
radiating from the post to the end of the concrete, looking from the top.
Should I worry about this? Is this normal, or an indication that I didn't
mix the concrete right?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ook Ook is offline

"Zootal" wrote in message

I set 8 posts in concrete yesterday. Today, I look at them and see half of
them have developed cracks in the concrete, usually just one crack
radiating from the post to the end of the concrete, looking from the top.
Should I worry about this? Is this normal, or an indication that I didn't
mix the concrete right?

My bad - we used *six* shovels of aggregate and 1 shovel of cement
powder.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ook wrote:
On Jun 30, 8:32 am, Ook wrote:

(snip)

.. I tapered the concrete so that at the
post it is an inch or more above the ground, and it does indeed taper
away from the post, and I used pressure treated posts rated for ground
contact.

I think the general consensus is to not worry about the cracks? The
posts are most definitely not going anywhere, cracks or not. Will the
cracks let in moisture that can shorten the post life? I don't know
deep the crack goes, they extend from the post to the edge as viewed
from the top, but I've not dug down to see if they run all they way to
the bottom of the post.

Shoulda set the post on a couple inches of gravel in the bottom of the
hole, and then poured gravel a few more inches up the side, then used
concrete over that. Even 'ground contact rated' posts should never sit
in a pocket, with no place for water to drain.

Posts are pretty cheap, concrete is cheap. I'd just live with what you
did, but keep an eye on it.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

oooo wrote:
"SteveB" wrote in message
Zootal wrote:

(snip)I use 'quickcrete'
from the home labrynth and never had a crack.

Snerk. 'Home Labyrinth'. I love it.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sand and gravel *premix*? [was Cracking cement question]

Ook wrote:

. I used pre-mixed aggregate, my
neighbor had a yard of sand and gravel mix that I hauled to my place,

Is it just me, or is 'premixed aggregate' the dumbest idea in DIY?
I'm guessing the folks who order it are trying to save a delivery
charge- but they'd be better off just buying redimix, IMO.

I've shoveled lots of sand, gravel, and rubble, and know that it is
impossible to send a load of mixed sand and gravel someplace and have
it arrive still mixed. Let alone drop it off a truck. . . let it
get rained on. . . shovel it again. . . drive it someplace else. . .
repeat.

Maybe someone who works with concrete everyday can adjust by eye, grab
a sandier/stonier shovel full to adjust the batch in process. But
the average DIYer can't tell too dry from too wet, let alone too bony
from smooth.

A couple folks have mentioned this lately. Is it one part of the
country that uses premixed aggregate- or is it common?

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ook Ook is offline

. I used pre-mixed aggregate, my
neighbor had a yard of sand and gravel mix that I hauled to my place,

Is it just me, or is 'premixed aggregate' the dumbest idea in DIY?
I'm guessing the folks who order it are trying to save a delivery
charge- but they'd be better off just buying redimix, IMO.

snip

Maybe I should have bought redimix? I'm thinking the cracking was
because I didn't use enough cement powder, and premixed concrete might
have saved me the trouble. But what is done is done, and it's only 8
posts. I'm doing 20 more this weekend, and this time I'll mix it 5:1
instead of 6:1. But I already had the pile of aggregate, so all I
needed was cement powder. I don't know who pre-mixed it or where it
originated from. I got it from my neighbor 2 years ago, and he had it
for a few years before I took it shrug
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ook Ook is offline

Shoulda set the post on a couple inches of gravel in the bottom of the
hole, and then poured gravel a few more inches up the side, then used
concrete over that. Even 'ground contact rated' posts should never sit
in a pocket, with no place for water to drain.

Posts are pretty cheap, concrete is cheap. I'd just live with what you
did, but keep an eye on it.

--
aem sends...

Actually, I did set the posts on a couple inches of gravel. I dug the
holes 33 inches, dumped in 3 inches of rock and gravel, and set the
posts 30 inches deep. If anything, the crack will help drainage, at
worst it will let water get to the post shrug. I'm not going to do
anything about it unless the posts become loose in the concrete, and I
don't think that happens - the blocks are not split in half, they just
have a crack on one side, as if the concrete shrunk as it set.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ook wrote:

-snip-

Maybe I should have bought redimix?

I think I used the wrong term there- so just so we're both thinking
about the same thing. I'm talking about the bagged concrete that has
all the ingredients. They actually make one for setting posts. I
think the difference is in type of cement- If I remember correctly
it says on the bag- 'place post- dump in hole- moisten'. One bag per
hole- simple.

I'm thinking the cracking was
because I didn't use enough cement powder, and premixed concrete might
have saved me the trouble. But what is done is done, and it's only 8
posts.

Amen- It isn't brain surgery- and chances are everything will be fine.

I'm doing 20 more this weekend, and this time I'll mix it 5:1
instead of 6:1. But I already had the pile of aggregate, so all I
needed was cement powder. I don't know who pre-mixed it or where it
originated from. I got it from my neighbor 2 years ago, and he had it
for a few years before I took it shrug

For setting posts, it will probably be fine. The last guy I remember
mentioning 'premixed aggregate' was doing a sidewalk. That's tough
enough if your mix is good and consistent- but without knowing how
much stone vs gravel you've got it is nigh impossible.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ook Ook is offline

On Jul 1, 9:26 am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Ook wrote:

-snip-

Maybe I should have bought redimix?

I think I used the wrong term there- so just so we're both thinking
about the same thing. I'm talking about the bagged concrete that has
all the ingredients. They actually make one for setting posts. I
think the difference is in type of cement- If I remember correctly
it says on the bag- 'place post- dump in hole- moisten'. One bag per
hole- simple.

snip

Yeah, we are on the right wavelength here. Dump in hole, moisten?
Huh...haven't seen that, though I've heard others talk about doing
exactly that. I would be concerned that it would not get wet all the
way through, and that there would be dry pockets. Especially if the
hole is deep, the stuff on the bottom might not get wet. I think I'd
still mix it in a pan and then dump it in hole...
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Ook wrote:
... I would be concerned that it would not get wet all the
way through, and that there would be dry pockets. ...

It will, eventually. Enough will set initially to hold the post; the
rest will over time. Don't need any real strength for the purpose; all
it does is fill the hole w/ a solid material.

Posted to alt.home.repair

. I used pre-mixed aggregate, my neighbor had a yard of sand and gravel
mix that I hauled to my place

Its called NAVVY JACK (google)

Is it just me, or is 'premixed aggregate' the dumbest idea in DIY?

Its just you

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Zootal, Kevin Kirkpatrick wrote:
Cracks will form from any square point to the edges. Easier installation is to
set post and dump in dry mix and add water or let moisture from dirt
surrounding hole take care of setting it up. You don't need concrete to ground
level in my opinion

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...on-316066-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

In my opinion don't worry about it. Even weak concrete is overkill for posts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ook, Kevin Kirkpatrick wrote:
It works and only want concrete below grade or it will rot off. The bottom
foot is enough in the hole. I worked as an engineer

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...on-316066-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 14, 2016 at 2:44:06 PM UTC-4, Kevin Kirkpatrick wrote:
replying to Ook, Kevin Kirkpatrick wrote:
It works and only want concrete below grade or it will rot off. The bottom
foot is enough in the hole. I worked as an engineer

Probably okay for wood, disaster for steel post for obvious reasons.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 15:44:02 +0000, Kevin Kirkpatrick
wrote:

replying to Zootal, Kevin Kirkpatrick wrote:
Cracks will form from any square point to the edges. Easier installation is to
set post and dump in dry mix and add water or let moisture from dirt
surrounding hole take care of setting it up. You don't need concrete to ground
level in my opinion

This is a good method. I worked with a crew that put in a lot of
posts and they started off doing it the way they were told, but
eventually learned to do it this way. So easy.

It was probably not overkill in this situation, but when I took out
one of my 4" round fence posts because it broke, I saw that there was
no cement around it. But all the posts are fine, except one that
leaned over a little. I removed the upper rail and used a come-along
to straighten the post, then nailed the upper rail back on. I gues
if there had been cement, it wouldn't have tipped and I couldn't have
moved it back. One post out of 40 or so is not bad.

Cement question Anthona Home Repair 11 December 23rd 06 07:30 PM
cement block/decorative stone cracking [email protected] Home Repair 1 September 24th 06 01:56 PM
Cement grinding question Kurt Gavin Home Repair 12 September 8th 06 09:43 PM
Another Cement Mixing Question [email protected] Home Repair 4 May 3rd 06 01:13 AM
contact cement question Mike in Mystic Woodworking 16 November 6th 03 06:31 PM