Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Multiple lights, same circuit

Okay, I'm sure this is not uncommon, but I can't find anything online
or in my wiring books to provide an example...

In my front entry I have 5 light switches in one box and they're all
on the same circuit. One cable coming in from the service panel
provides the power. I'm replacing the switch, the box, and probably
the wiring, so I want to do this the proper way.

It seems odd that six wires (one from each light plus the power wire)
get tied together in one wire nut. Right now they're soldered
together (50+ year-old house), but I know that this isn't code. What
would be the proper way?...Two groups of three linked by a heavier
gauge wire?

So I guess the question is: How do you connect 5 or more wires
together?

Mike
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Okay, I'm sure this is not uncommon, but I can't find anything online
or in my wiring books to provide an example...

In my front entry I have 5 light switches in one box and they're all
on the same circuit. One cable coming in from the service panel
provides the power. I'm replacing the switch, the box, and probably
the wiring, so I want to do this the proper way.

It seems odd that six wires (one from each light plus the power wire)
get tied together in one wire nut. Right now they're soldered
together (50+ year-old house), but I know that this isn't code. What
would be the proper way?...Two groups of three linked by a heavier
gauge wire?

So I guess the question is: How do you connect 5 or more wires
together?

Mike

What you have is correct and proper. Today, we don't solder much, but you
can get wire nuts to accommodate the six conductors

Posted to alt.home.repair

metspitzer wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 16:32:14 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Okay, I'm sure this is not uncommon, but I can't find anything online
or in my wiring books to provide an example...

In my front entry I have 5 light switches in one box and they're all
on the same circuit. One cable coming in from the service panel
provides the power. I'm replacing the switch, the box, and probably
the wiring, so I want to do this the proper way.

It seems odd that six wires (one from each light plus the power wire)
get tied together in one wire nut. Right now they're soldered
together (50+ year-old house), but I know that this isn't code. What
would be the proper way?...Two groups of three linked by a heavier
gauge wire?

So I guess the question is: How do you connect 5 or more wires
together?

Mike

I haven't done any electrical work since 2000, but I remember seeing
these in a catalogue. I have never used any.

http://www.idealindustries.com/produ...ut_pigtail.jsp

Of course, they would probably cost big bucks unless you buy bulk.

For home use, you could just wire nut 3 together with an extra wire
for the other 3. There is no reason to oversize the wires.

Or you could use "spec grade" switches with back wire screw terminals
with the little clamps and pigtail from one switch to the next with no
wire nuts at all.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Okay, I'm sure this is not uncommon, but I can't find anything online
or in my wiring books to provide an example...

In my front entry I have 5 light switches in one box and they're all
on the same circuit. One cable coming in from the service panel
provides the power. I'm replacing the switch, the box, and probably
the wiring, so I want to do this the proper way.

It seems odd that six wires (one from each light plus the power wire)
get tied together in one wire nut. Right now they're soldered
together (50+ year-old house), but I know that this isn't code. What
would be the proper way?...Two groups of three linked by a heavier
gauge wire?

So I guess the question is: How do you connect 5 or more wires
together?

Mike

This is what I do for the hot sides of the switches (and outlets). I run
a single wire from switch to switch. I strip the insulation back at each
switch and wrap the wire around the screw terminal without cutting the
wire. Much less clutter in the box that way and you end up with only
one wire to connect to the power feed wire, or no wire nut connection at
all if the power feed wire is long enough. I sometimes do this with
ground connections as well.

You can put the 6 wires in 2 bunches if you want and it may be easier to
distribute the wires from one end of the box to the other. The
connecting wire need not be a larger gauge. Use 12 ga for 20 Amp
circuits and 14 ga (or 12 ga) for 15 Amp circuits.

One house I lived in had soldered connections which was a real pain. If
there is enough slack in the wires I just cut the solder joints out and
use wire nuts. If not enough slack you end up having to make pigtails
or unsolder and re-solder connections as it is almost impossible to put
wire nuts on previously soldered joints. Also heating the wires up
enough to clean the solder off, burns up or makes the insulation
brittle. Then there is that old gummy electrical tape to deal with.
I believe code still allows soldering.

Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I use those back wire outlets and perfer them even though they are over
$2.00 each (Leviton in red label box). However, I can't seem to find
switches with the back wire connections (only the blue box - side screw
type). I have only looked at HD & Lowes though....
Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 9:17*pm, Kevin Ricks wrote:
This is what I do for the hot sides of the switches (and outlets). I run
a single wire from switch to switch. I strip the insulation back at each
switch and wrap the wire around the screw terminal without cutting the
wire. *Much less clutter in the box that way and you end up with only
one wire to connect to the power feed wire, or no wire nut connection at
all if the power feed wire is long enough. *I sometimes do this with
ground connections as well.

I like this idea.

Thanks all.

Mike
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kevin Ricks wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Yes, it never ceases to amaze me how people will use the cheapest
outlets and switches they can find in their homes when only one
related problem, even if it doesnt catch something on fire, will pay
for the added cost.

Building on the cheap will always cost more in the long run.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 28, 9:59*am, wrote:
On Jun 27, 9:17*pm, Kevin Ricks wrote:

This is what I do for the hot sides of the switches (and outlets). I run
a single wire from switch to switch. I strip the insulation back at each
switch and wrap the wire around the screw terminal without cutting the
wire. *Much less clutter in the box that way and you end up with only
one wire to connect to the power feed wire, or no wire nut connection at
all if the power feed wire is long enough. *I sometimes do this with
ground connections as well.

I like this idea.

Thanks all.

Mike

If it's a15 amp circuit that wire strapping the input to all the
switches could be 14 AWG and thus easier to bend around the screw at
each switch having stripped back the insulation at each. With five
switches however it may be a 20 amp circuit?