Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Casement Window Repair Help

I have a casement window which needs a new crank. I have identified
the crank and have a replacement. It is manufactured by Truth.

Before I do more damage then good, the window crank has a frame around
it which needs to be removed to unscrew the old crank.

Can anyone explain the proper way to remove the frame section and tell
me what should be used when putting it back. It seems to have a putty
or sealant on the bottom edge.

I assume that if I break the seal it should come out, is that correct?

What is used to seal the frame when it goes back?

Thanks for any help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 12:25�pm, wrote:
I have a casement window which needs a new crank. I have identified
the crank and have a replacement. It is manufactured by Truth.

Before I do more damage then good, the window crank has a frame around
it which needs to be removed to unscrew the old crank.

Can anyone explain the proper way to remove the frame section and tell
me what should be used when putting it back. It seems to have a putty
or sealant on the bottom edge.

I assume that if I break the seal it should come out, is that correct?

What is used to seal the frame when it goes back?

Thanks for any help.

probably held in place by one screw on either side, and occasionally a
small screw from the outside point in too.

the sealing was likely added to discourage rain water getting in.

dont worry just remove the old crank assembly
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 12:25 pm, wrote:
I have a casement window which needs a new crank. I have identified
the crank and have a replacement. It is manufactured by Truth.

Before I do more damage then good, the window crank has a frame around
it which needs to be removed to unscrew the old crank.

Can anyone explain the proper way to remove the frame section and tell
me what should be used when putting it back. It seems to have a putty
or sealant on the bottom edge.

I assume that if I break the seal it should come out, is that correct?

What is used to seal the frame when it goes back?

Your description is incomplete. Is it a wood or metal casement? If
it's wood, and you're talking about the bottom window stop that is cut
out to fit over the crank, then just score along whatever the gunk is
with a razor knife. Work underneath the stop with a couple of putty
knives working from opposite sides on the same end, pry up working
your way towards the center. The stop is weaker, of course, where
there's less wood, so don't try to pry it off from just one end.
There's no need to put a sealant under the stop unless there's a big
gap. Reattach it with some 3 penny nails (aka 3d nails).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sorry about that. You are correct it is a wood frame. Your description
is exactly what I was looking for. Do you know what type of "gunk" is
on the stop? Should I be replacing it or just nail it down when I
replace the crank?

Thanks,

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 16:24:50 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

On Jun 27, 12:25 pm, wrote:
[...]

casement window operator martha Home Repair 3 December 31st 07 03:49 AM
building a casement window [email protected] Home Repair 1 November 28th 06 01:03 PM
Casement window air conditioners Nathan Zimmerman Home Repair 12 July 2nd 06 07:57 PM
Casement window MODERN LASS UK diy 0 January 5th 06 12:40 AM
Casement Window Won't Close Bob Home Repair 2 September 27th 05 05:24 AM