Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFCI Outlet / LED tripped indicator.

I'm good with wood and good with plumbing. Electricity scares me to
death! So I have this GFCI Outlet in the kitchen with a red LED light
that normally lights up when the outlet trips. (It only trips when I
test it from time to time.) Now, the LED light had decided that it
will stay on permanently. I just assumed I should have it replaced,
but it still seems to work just fine (shutting off then testing and
then reseting just fine). As long as it still tests okay, am I in
good shape, or is the LED light indicating a problem?

Thanks for any info!

Troy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 10:43*am, Troy wrote:
I'm good with wood and good with plumbing. *Electricity scares me to
death! *So I have this GFCI Outlet in the kitchen with a red LED light
that normally lights up when the outlet trips. *(It only trips when I
test it from time to time.) *Now, the LED light had decided that it
will stay on permanently. *I just assumed I should have it replaced,
but it still seems to work just fine (shutting off then testing and
then reseting just fine). *As long as it still tests okay, am I in
good shape, or is the LED light indicating a problem?

Thanks for any info!

Troy

For a cheap easily replaced GFCI, which is a critical safety device, I
don't see why you would not just replace it. If it still trips when
presented with a test fault via the test button, it would appear to be
OK. On the other hand, clearly part of the GFCI circuitry is on the
fritz, so how lucky do you feel today?
Posted to alt.home.repair

For a cheap easily replaced GFCI, which is a critical safety device, I
don't see why you would not just replace it. If it still trips when
presented with a test fault via the test button, it would appear to be
OK. On the other hand, clearly part of the GFCI circuitry is on the
fritz, so how lucky do you feel today?

Do I feel lucky?.... Sounds like a bad disaster movie... and those
never end good! I bought a tester from Home Depot today and it DOES
confirm that is not functioning properly. I may not be hooked up
properly, but if I'm going to undo the wires, I may as well put a new
one in.... I'm sure the new one will have instructions to insure I
reconnect the wires properly. Thanks for your post!