Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kenmore Dishwasher -664517 533202 Top Rack Won't Clean

Hello All-
I am trying to figure out what is going on with my dishwasher - just
recently my top rack of dishes does not come out any better than when
I put it in.... Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks again = )
Posted to alt.home.repair

Some DW have a "jet" up the center that provides the water to the spray
arm(s) for the top rack. If the top rack isnt lining up with this jet or
if the lower nozzle is blocked, water wont get 'up' to the toprack. Some
others have a tube feed that provides water for the upper arms...if the hose
has become disconnected..
One other thing to check is that the upper spray arm(s) rotate freely. If
for example, a large item in the lower rack blocks the upper arm from
spinning, no
"washing" will take place on the top level. Try spinning it by hand and
make sure it turns freely once both racks are inside in place before closing
the door

recently my top rack of dishes does not come out any better than when I
put it in....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Quote: anniep wrote on Fri, 20 June 2008 21:54
Hello All-
I am trying to figure out what is going on with my dishwasher - just
recently my top rack of dishes does not come out any better than when
I put it in.... Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks again = )

Make sure the upper spray arm is rotating and getting water. Trace the plumbing that goes to it and look for loose connections. Can you tell if water is spraying or not?

--
Richard Thoms
President - Top Service Pros, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 12:19*am, "Rudy" wrote:
Some DW have a "jet" up the center that provides the water to the spray
arm(s) for the top rack. *If the top rack *isnt lining up with this jet or
if the lower nozzle is blocked, water wont get 'up' to the toprack. *Some
others have a tube feed that provides water for the upper arms...if the hose
has become disconnected..
One other thing to check is that the upper spray arm(s) rotate freely. *If
for example, a large item in the lower rack blocks the upper arm from
spinning, no
"washing" will take place on the top level. *Try spinning it by hand and
make sure it turns freely once both racks are inside in place before closing
the door

recently my top rack of dishes does not come out any better than when I
put it in....- Hide quoted text -

Thank you for your response.

I disconnected the feed tube which goes up the back
of the dishwasher and everything was connected tightly although with
large amt. of mineral buildup....

I did try to open the dishwasher when it was running and it did not
seem that the
arm was rotating - (The arm will rotate though)...
But I do think the arm was getting some water because it was dripping
from
the edges of the arm.
Awaiting your best advice = )

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 22, 6:15�pm, anniep wrote:
[...]

Awaiting your best advice = )- Hide quoted text -

try removing the rotating arm, open door quickly, is there good flow?

check screen and debris collector at bottom of machine. if the pump
output isnt enough the top rack doesnt clean.
Posted to alt.home.repair

anniep wrote in
:

[...]

a large amt. of mineral buildup....

it did not seem that the arm was
rotating - (The arm will rotate though)...

I've really only "dug into" a couple of DW's in depth. Assuming spray
arms are similar (?), the arm had several holes in it for water to spray
out, The holes were at an angle which makes the arm rotate as it sprays
water. These holes over time can get clogged with crud. In your case,
evidence of mineral buildup in other areas makes me think possibly
mineral buildup in the spray arm holes is possible. Total or partial
blockage would cause it not to spin or spin weakly.

Clean out the holes maybe with a paper clip or something. Careful not to
alter/damage the holes when cleaning since they are only plastic. After
clearing holes take a garden hose and shoot water in the holes backwards
and forwards to clear further crud in the holes and arms.

If it is mineral deposits they will not clear easily like food particles
might. They will stick to stuff hard. Vinegar dissolves calcium buildup I
believe. There are also a product called CLR (dissolves calcium, lime and
iron rust).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 22, 9:55*pm, Red Green wrote:
anniep wrote :

[...]

iron rust).- Hide quoted text -

Thank you so much for your help... But I actually had checked that
when I disconnected the
feed tube... Thanks again = )
Posted to alt.home.repair

anniep wrote in
:

On Jun 22, 9:55*pm, Red Green wrote:
anniep wrote
innews:8ac2544b-142d-4f13-aff3-3c1e9

:

[...]

(dissolves calcium, lime and iron rust).- Hide quoted text -

Thank you so much for your help... But I actually had checked that
when I disconnected the
feed tube... Thanks again = )

No sweat. The posting may help someone else as well.