Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Re-grouting tub- need advice cleaning old tile

Just got through with the hard part (removing old grout) and now need a little advice.

I need to clean the old tile and the suggestion I got was tri-sodium phosphate to get rid of water and soap
stains and 50:50 clorox solution for mildew. Also have rust stains, and that usually is cleaned with mild acids.
I know to keep them all as totally separate treatments with long rinses to avoid gassing myself - even with all
the fans I have going.

Any other suggestions or is what I am doing the easiest way to clean the tile with all its different stains?

GA
Posted to alt.home.repair

George Abbot wrote:

Just got through with the hard part (removing old grout) and now need
a little advice.

I need to clean the old tile and the suggestion I got was tri-sodium
phosphate to get rid of water and soap stains and 50:50 clorox
solution for mildew. Also have rust stains, and that usually is
cleaned with mild acids. I know to keep them all as totally separate
treatments with long rinses to avoid gassing myself - even with all
the fans I have going.

Any other suggestions or is what I am doing the easiest way to clean
the tile with all its different stains?

GA

I just started using Scrubbin Bubbles for our tile - pretty amazing. If
there is soap scum, a razor blade scraper first. There can be an
amazing amount of soap scum without being seen.
Posted to alt.home.repair
k k is offline

"George Abbot" wrote in message
Just got through with the hard part (removing old grout) and now need a
little advice.

I need to clean the old tile and the suggestion I got was tri-sodium
phosphate to get rid of water and soap stains and 50:50 clorox solution
for mildew. Also have rust stains, and that usually is cleaned with mild
acids. I know to keep them all as totally separate treatments with long
rinses to avoid gassing myself - even with all the fans I have going.

Any other suggestions or is what I am doing the easiest way to clean the
tile with all its different stains?

GA

If you're re-grouting, don't do anything to the tile. Grout, and when you
wipe the overage off, the tiles should shine like new. When my tiles start
to get scummy, I just put a thin grout mixture on with a float, as if I was
grouting, let it get near-dry, then wipe with a sponge, then a dry towel.
Like new! Grout on tile is like toothpaste on teeth.

Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 15, 8:26 pm, "k" wrote:
[...]

I think the part about removing soap scum with new grout mix is
probably right. One thing I have found that is very good for mold/
mildew stains is Mean Green Mold and Mildew Destroyer that is sold at
Dollar General. I've tried more expensive cleaners but they don't
work as well. You just spray the stuff on where you see mildew and
let it sit about 20 minutes....then wipe it off.

I have used razor blades to clean old soap scum if it is really heavy
but if it's just an ordinary amount of soap and mineral deposits -
then the friction of the new grout should take it off. If you do have
lots of mineral deposits (limescale) try cleaning with white vinegar/
water to keep it off.