Blair

Default Cleaning grouting in shower. How?

My wife has problem trying to clean the white grouting in our shower which
is tiled in white. We think that the grouting becomes discoloured by the
soap as the grouting outwith the shower remains white.
We bought a steam cleaner which we thought might help but no joy.
Can anyone tell us how to easily clean the grouting
Blair

Uno Hoo!

"Blair" wrote in message
My wife has problem trying to clean the white grouting in our shower which
is tiled in white. We think that the grouting becomes discoloured by the
soap as the grouting outwith the shower remains white.
We bought a steam cleaner which we thought might help but no joy.
Can anyone tell us how to easily clean the grouting
Blair

An old nail-brush and some cream-cleaner usually does the job ok. Not the
liquid CIF type stuff - but the mildly abrasive type of cleaner.

Kev

John Rumm

Blair wrote:

My wife has problem trying to clean the white grouting in our shower which
is tiled in white. We think that the grouting becomes discoloured by the
soap as the grouting outwith the shower remains white.
We bought a steam cleaner which we thought might help but no joy.
Can anyone tell us how to easily clean the grouting

If the worst comes to the worst, rake it out and re-grout. Then treat
with Lithofin Grout Protector before using it to stop it staining in the
future.

--
Cheers,

John.

Rusty

"Blair" wrote in message
My wife has problem trying to clean the white grouting in our shower which
is tiled in white. We think that the grouting becomes discoloured by the
soap as the grouting outwith the shower remains white.
We bought a steam cleaner which we thought might help but no joy.
Can anyone tell us how to easily clean the grouting
Blair

if you have hard water ("outwith" sounds very Scottish) as bad as our
English stuff, it could be a mix of dirt and limescale which domestic
cleaners won't even make a dent in.
Try limescale remover, but eventually it will dissolve all the grout as well
as the dirt.

rusty

Blair

"Rusty" wrote in message

"Blair" wrote in message
My wife has problem trying to clean the white grouting in our shower

which
is tiled in white. We think that the grouting becomes discoloured by

the
soap as the grouting outwith the shower remains white.
We bought a steam cleaner which we thought might help but no joy.
Can anyone tell us how to easily clean the grouting
Blair

if you have hard water ("outwith" sounds very Scottish) as bad as our
English stuff, it could be a mix of dirt and limescale which domestic
cleaners won't even make a dent in.
Try limescale remover, but eventually it will dissolve all the grout as

well
as the dirt.

rusty

Thanks for your help
Yes I am in Scotland but "outwidth" meant to refer the other tiles in the
bathroom and not wirhin the shower enclosure.
Blair

Set Square

Blair wrote:

"Rusty" wrote in message

"Blair" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, we know! The Scottish word "outwith" is actually more economical on
words that the English equivalent of "outside of".
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Lobster

Set Square wrote:
Blair wrote:

Yes I am in Scotland but "outwidth" meant to refer the other tiles in
the bathroom and not wirhin the shower enclosure.

Yes, we know! The Scottish word "outwith" is actually more economical on
words that the English equivalent of "outside of".

Isn't the original (ie olde) English equivalent actually "without"?

As in,

"There is a green hill far away,
Without a city wall..."
(can't remember the rest. Mary?!)

David

Set Square

Lobster wrote:

Yes, we know! The Scottish word "outwith" is actually more
economical on words that the English equivalent of "outside of".

Isn't the original (ie olde) English equivalent actually "without"?

As in,

"There is a green hill far away,
Without a city wall..."
(can't remember the rest. Mary?!)

David

You may well be right! Don't think it's used now in everyday parlance,
though - whereas the Scottish "outwith" *is*.

[Just looked up 'without' in my dictionary - and it does indeed have an
archaic meaning of "outside"].
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Rusty

"Set Square" wrote in message
Lobster wrote:

Yes, we know! The Scottish word "outwith" is actually more
economical on words that the English equivalent of "outside of".

Isn't the original (ie olde) English equivalent actually "without"?

As in,

"There is a green hill far away,
Without a city wall..."
(can't remember the rest. Mary?!)

David

You may well be right! Don't think it's used now in everyday parlance,
though - whereas the Scottish "outwith" *is*.

[Just looked up 'without' in my dictionary - and it does indeed have an
archaic meaning of "outside"].

I'm sure Shakespeare used to witter on about "who's without" meaning who's
outside, not who hasn't got one.