Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Keeping the sump pipe clean

I have a sump pit in my house, obviously. The builder appearantly did not
sock the drail tiles or something because I get lots of sand/mud in the
pit and occasionally tar. I can clean the pit every so often which is not
too painful. I also clean the pump every so often, but actually since I
switched from a sump pump to a sewage ejector sump, the pump itself has
remained clean.

Anyway, what happens is the pipes become lined with this red mud. I snake
the parts I can. I took the outside pipe off yesterday while making some
modifications and noticed that the 1 1/2" pipe had been reduced to about
1/2" pipe by the caked on mud.

What strategy should I use to prevent the caking of this mud? Do I need a
stronger pump? Something about the type of pipes (PVC)? Or the angle of
the bends?

My new setup will allow me to snake it from the basement, and from
outside, but still I wish I did not have to keep doing this every 6
months...

THanks,

CL

Keeping air tools clean Robin Woodworking 5 February 4th 07 06:56 AM
Sump Drainage Pipe Amy L Home Repair 2 October 29th 06 05:51 PM
Keeping Walls Clean - clear plexiglass sheet? none Metalworking 11 May 29th 06 05:11 PM
Keeping gutters clean? jeffc Home Repair 10 May 23rd 06 12:08 AM
Keeping grout clean [email protected] Home Repair 2 March 27th 06 10:43 PM