Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sump Drainage Pipe

Today I noticed some water (very slow trickle) coming through a small crack
in my basement foundation. I went outside and noticed a good pool of water
on that side of the house. Just than my sump kicked on as I watched the
water overflow out of the drainage pipe. My sump pump connects into the
same drainage line as my down spouts for my gutter. Apparently my drainage
pipe from my front down spout to the street (bubbler) must be clogged or
worst case collapsed. I was going to call a plumber first thing on Monday,
but my neighbor suggested I rent a sewer snake from home depot or lowes to
snake it out tomorrow. The distance is about 20-25ft. My hope is that this
frees up the clog if that's the issue.

So here are my questions:
1.) Are they expensive to rent? If so I may just call a plumber during the
week.
2.) My guess is that its more likely that the pipe now has tree roots in it
causing the issue than leaves and helicopters. Will a sewer snake cut
through roots?
3.) It appears that the drainage pipe is ~4" will a sewer snake still work
in a 4" drainage pipe?
4.) How hard are they to use?

Any advise?
Amy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

if the drain line exists above ground first try forcing a garden hose
up from the exit end. most clogs occur there, right near or at the
exit.

i flush my drain lines at least once a year to prevent clogs.

any chance you could drain the sump directly to the street or wherever
and elminate the pump completely? this is frequently possible and
elminates a big mess of troubles, like pump failure, power failure,
check valve failure, leaking pump lines etc etc,

drain it directly if you can!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Amy L wrote:
[...]

It will be much cheaper to rent than the service call for a plumber --
if you can get the clog cleared yourself.

I would try a conventional hand operated snake from the street end . It
should be adequate to clear ant leaves that have entered the system .

Alternatively use a garden hose with moderate water pressure and
attempt to flush out the debris.

2nd Sump installation to fix foundation drainage problemo CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert Home Repair 0 July 25th 05 12:20 AM
Drainage Pipe Liability Andy UK diy 3 November 9th 04 08:46 PM
A/C Drainage Pipe clogged... water backing up into hallway Ringo Langly Home Repair 6 August 17th 04 09:15 PM
undoing cast iron soil pipe joint Alasdair UK diy 8 February 2nd 04 07:17 AM