Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB dnoyeB is offline

Default Keeping the sump pipe clean

I have a sump pit in my house, obviously. The builder appearantly did not
sock the drail tiles or something because I get lots of sand/mud in the
pit and occasionally tar. I can clean the pit every so often which is not
too painful. I also clean the pump every so often, but actually since I
switched from a sump pump to a sewage ejector sump, the pump itself has
remained clean.

Anyway, what happens is the pipes become lined with this red mud. I snake
the parts I can. I took the outside pipe off yesterday while making some
modifications and noticed that the 1 1/2" pipe had been reduced to about
1/2" pipe by the caked on mud.

What strategy should I use to prevent the caking of this mud? Do I need a
stronger pump? Something about the type of pipes (PVC)? Or the angle of
the bends?

My new setup will allow me to snake it from the basement, and from
outside, but still I wish I did not have to keep doing this every 6
months...

THanks,

CL