Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 6ft 1500W baseboard or 1500W space heater?

I was looking to put in some kind of supplemental heat in my basement.
This would only be for the winter. I was thinking of a 6ft 1500W
electic baseboard, but from what I've resarched, a 1500W space heater
puts out the same heat (5115 BTU's). I already have a dedicated
110Voutlet ( I have enough wire to feed in the baseboard and convert
to 220 if need be). Obviously the biggest advantage is I save wall
space and plus I can put the space heater away when the season is
over. Any opinions? Would I gain anything by putting in baseboard?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
I was looking to put in some kind of supplemental heat in my basement.
This would only be for the winter. I was thinking of a 6ft 1500W
electic baseboard, but from what I've resarched, a 1500W space heater
puts out the same heat (5115 BTU's). I already have a dedicated
110Voutlet ( I have enough wire to feed in the baseboard and convert
to 220 if need be). Obviously the biggest advantage is I save wall
space and plus I can put the space heater away when the season is
over. Any opinions? Would I gain anything by putting in baseboard?

Heat is heat for the same wattage. I'd go with the method that suits your
lifestyle and room use. If you are going to go with a space heater,
consider one of the oil filled units as the unit is at a lower temperature,
less risk for burns if you have pets or kids.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2008-06-11, Joseph Meehan wrote:
The amount of heat and efficiency of each are exactly the same. I
suggest you are a much better judge if you would prefer stand alone or
baseboard.

Do baseboards last longer? When I was using a space heater heavily a
couple years ago it burned out after a few months.

--
Jonathan Grobe Books
Browse our inventory of thousands of used books at:

Posted to alt.home.repair

A space heater with thermostat and a fan will give you the most "bang for he
buck."

Were I you, I would set the heaters on the "medium" setting which is
typically about 750 watts and use more than one and, if you can, plug them
into outlets on different circuits and circuit breakers.

You put the heat where the people are rather than attempt to heat the entire
basement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 12:53:29 -0400, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I've heard that ceramic heaters are more efficient.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

How can you get more than 100% efficiency with a resistance heater?

Greater than 100% efficiency for a heater would require some energy
other then that supplied to the heater.

Perhaps imaginary heat counts...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do baseboards last longer? When I was using a space heater heavily a
couple years ago it burned out after a few months.

Ditto

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have an old oil filled electric radiator that must be 30 years old.
It still works perfectly.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 08:29:43 -0700, Mikepier wrote:

I was looking to put in some kind of supplemental heat in my basement.
This would only be for the winter. I was thinking of a 6ft 1500W electic
baseboard, but from what I've resarched, a 1500W space heater puts out
the same heat (5115 BTU's). I already have a dedicated 110Voutlet ( I
have enough wire to feed in the baseboard and convert to 220 if need
be). Obviously the biggest advantage is I save wall space and plus I
can put the space heater away when the season is over. Any opinions?
Would I gain anything by putting in baseboard?

I basically one of each. I prefer the hydronic or oil filled baseboard
heater. (I wouldnt bother with non oil filled models) They get much less
hot to the touch which is safer for my son and the stuff he may put on it
when I am not looking. They heat more gradually and smoother than my
other heater. Plus it does not have a fan, so its silent which is better
than the one I have with the fan on it. Since I have a theater in the
basement.

If you can convert to 220, do it now. It will save you a few pennys each
year. Both my blower and my baseboard are 220.

Of course if you have a cold natured spouce, the space heater (with fan)
is more stand-in-front-able...

CL

How to Tell if Baseboard Heater is 2 or 4 Wire? Filipo Home Repair 10 February 4th 21 03:45 AM
Hydronic elecric baseboard heater vs standard electric baseboard heater John Sevinsky Home Repair 7 March 5th 14 12:13 AM
baseboard heater j Electronics Repair 6 November 27th 07 10:18 PM
baseboard heater [email protected] Home Repair 1 August 19th 06 07:57 PM
remove baseboard heater ? Aoime Home Repair 0 November 17th 04 05:15 AM