Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB dnoyeB is offline

Default 6ft 1500W baseboard or 1500W space heater?

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 08:29:43 -0700, Mikepier wrote:

I was looking to put in some kind of supplemental heat in my basement.
This would only be for the winter. I was thinking of a 6ft 1500W electic
baseboard, but from what I've resarched, a 1500W space heater puts out
the same heat (5115 BTU's). I already have a dedicated 110Voutlet ( I
have enough wire to feed in the baseboard and convert to 220 if need
be). Obviously the biggest advantage is I save wall space and plus I
can put the space heater away when the season is over. Any opinions?
Would I gain anything by putting in baseboard?

I basically one of each. I prefer the hydronic or oil filled baseboard
heater. (I wouldnt bother with non oil filled models) They get much less
hot to the touch which is safer for my son and the stuff he may put on it
when I am not looking. They heat more gradually and smoother than my
other heater. Plus it does not have a fan, so its silent which is better
than the one I have with the fan on it. Since I have a theater in the
basement.

If you can convert to 220, do it now. It will save you a few pennys each
year. Both my blower and my baseboard are 220.

Of course if you have a cold natured spouce, the space heater (with fan)
is more stand-in-front-able...

CL