Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Insulating the attic of a Cape, what could go wrong?

Am I right in assuming that I have to take out the entire 2nd floor
ceiling in order to do this right? Are there any tricks to insulating
the attic of a Cape that is different than a colonial. I'm a little
nervous that I won't be able to do this right because of all the
angles, would it be wise to call in a contractor for some of the work?
If so, what part of it would be too technical for a layman? If I am
going to have to rip out the ceiling would it be a smart move to
install a whole house fan? I'm hoping that changing the insulation
will help mitigate some of the oppressive heat that builds up in the
summer, will it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
Am I right in assuming that I have to take out the entire 2nd floor
ceiling in order to do this right? Are there any tricks to insulating
the attic of a Cape that is different than a colonial. I'm a little
nervous that I won't be able to do this right because of all the
angles, would it be wise to call in a contractor for some of the work?
If so, what part of it would be too technical for a layman? If I am
going to have to rip out the ceiling would it be a smart move to
install a whole house fan? I'm hoping that changing the insulation
will help mitigate some of the oppressive heat that builds up in the
summer, will it?

Blown-in insulation would probably be a good choice if space is tight.