Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cutting MC-Lite?

I need to run a piece of this and make one (1) cut, so I don't want to
invest in a tool for it.

I know you can use a hacksaw, but am concerned about cutting the insulation.
Any better way? I was thinking maybe a rotary tool with a metal cutting
disk, but that might not be any better than a hack saw.
Would the store cut it?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ted" wrote in message
I need to run a piece of this and make one (1) cut, so I don't want to
invest in a tool for it.

I know you can use a hacksaw, but am concerned about cutting the
insulation. Any better way? I was thinking maybe a rotary tool with a
metal cutting disk, but that might not be any better than a hack saw.
Would the store cut it?

Thanks.

MC-lite has an aluminum jacket. You could probably nip at it with a pair of
diagonal pliers. Use a hacksaw, but don't cut square. Cut at an angle
until you are through one of the spirals. The rest should just twist off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/9/2008 6:27 AM Ted spake thus:

I need to run a piece of this and make one (1) cut, so I don't want to
invest in a tool for it.

I know you can use a hacksaw, but am concerned about cutting the insulation.
Any better way? I was thinking maybe a rotary tool with a metal cutting
disk, but that might not be any better than a hack saw.
Would the store cut it?

I've always just used a pair of dikes (diagonal cutters). Cut the cable
to include enough length at both ends for the wires once you strip off
the jacket.

Actually, the best tool here, one which I don't have but wish I did, is
a pair of compound-action dikes, which will slice through the cable like
butter.

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill
Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 6/9/2008 6:27 AM Ted spake thus:

I need to run a piece of this and make one (1) cut, so I don't want to
invest in a tool for it.

I know you can use a hacksaw, but am concerned about cutting the
insulation. Any better way? I was thinking maybe a rotary tool with a
metal cutting disk, but that might not be any better than a hack saw.
Would the store cut it?

I've always just used a pair of dikes (diagonal cutters). Cut the cable to
include enough length at both ends for the wires once you strip off the
jacket.

I was about ask you "yeah, but how do you strip the jacket?" when it all
came clear. You just unwind the silly thing! Who says there is no dumb
question.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/9/2008 12:56 PM Ted spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

On 6/9/2008 6:27 AM Ted spake thus:

I need to run a piece of this and make one (1) cut, so I don't want to
invest in a tool for it.

I know you can use a hacksaw, but am concerned about cutting the
insulation. Any better way? I was thinking maybe a rotary tool with a
metal cutting disk, but that might not be any better than a hack saw.
Would the store cut it?

I've always just used a pair of dikes (diagonal cutters). Cut the cable to
include enough length at both ends for the wires once you strip off the
jacket.

I was about ask you "yeah, but how do you strip the jacket?" when it all
came clear. You just unwind the silly thing! Who says there is no dumb
question.

I think there actually is a specialized tool that real electricians use
that sorta "automatically" strips the jacket from MC and BX, but I've
never seen one. But yes, for the "lite" stuff, just a good pair of
cutters is all you need.

pilot lite tocostew Home Repair 14 November 30th 07 05:33 PM
MC-lite Toller Home Repair 3 July 6th 07 09:03 PM
LED Nite Lite Stormin Mormon Home Repair 9 December 3rd 06 11:46 AM
Mag-lite, again C & E Home Repair 15 December 13th 05 11:36 PM
Best Lite for Turning Keith Young Woodturning 13 January 27th 05 05:43 AM