Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 10-30 outlet and 6-30 plug

Is it possible to make an extension cord with a male 10-30 plug and the
other end a female 6-30 receptacle? I have a potters' kiln that has a 6-30
plug and when I am not using my dryer, I would like to be able to plug my
kiln in the same outlet.

ED

-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 13:25:20 +0000, ebaydowicz wrote:

Is it possible to make an extension cord with a male 10-30 plug and the
other end a female 6-30 receptacle? I have a potters' kiln that has a
6-30 plug and when I am not using my dryer, I would like to be able to
plug my kiln in the same outlet.

ED

-------------------------------------

http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance
Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair -
293956 messages and counting!

What is amp rating of the kiln?
The longer the cord, the more resistance.

I made a 20' cord for my 220v Unisaw but that was for a 20 amp circuit.
No performance issues.

Franz Fripplfrappl
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 13:25:20 +0000, ebaydowicz wrote:

Is it possible to make an extension cord with a male 10-30 plug and the
other end a female 6-30 receptacle? I have a potters' kiln that has a
6-30 plug and when I am not using my dryer, I would like to be able to
plug my kiln in the same outlet.

I hope a licensed electrician weights in on this.

I did find the following link:
http://www.interpower.com/ic/nema_configs.asp

You now have a dryer with a 30 amp 3 pole, 3 connector rated for 250V AC,
which I understand not universally current for new dryer installs. I
presume this is actually wired as two conductors at 220 / 2 poles, and
the "W" connection is used as a ground wire.

Your Kiln uses the specific wiring device for 30 amps, 250 volt rating,
two poles with a specific grounding connector.

Yes, my not authoritative and non-qualified to answer reply is yes both
connectors (10-30 and 6-30) will handle 220 VAC two poles with a ground
wire.

However, I think the better solution would be to bring your dryer and the
220 receptacle up to current suggested code of 6-30. Yes that would be
more expensive, and may require an electrician licensed in your area to
verify my guess is correct.

I would ask at one of your local appliance stores (Sears?) what connector
their electrical dryers use; a 6- or 10- plug.

Just my opinion.

Phil