Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drywall technique

I want to try using a sponge to smooth the drywall
joints instead of sanding in an effort to reduce
the dust generated.

How long should you let the compound dry before
using the damp sponge?

TIA

Mike

.................................................. .
my email address contains no
numeric characters
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Hennessey wrote:
I want to try using a sponge to smooth the drywall
joints instead of sanding in an effort to reduce
the dust generated.

How long should you let the compound dry before
using the damp sponge?

It should be completely dry. If the coats aren't too heavy and you've
allowed time to dry between coats, 24 hours is normally sufficient.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 13:18:38 +0000, Mike Hennessey wrote:

I want to try using a sponge to smooth the drywall joints instead of
sanding in an effort to reduce the dust generated.

How long should you let the compound dry before using the damp sponge?

TIA

Mike

.................................................. my email address
contains no
numeric characters

After mud has set for a couple of hours, I sometimes smooth out edges and
ridges with a mudding knife dipped in water. It helps to minimize
sanding once mud has dried. Wet sanding is great at keeping dust down.
Have also tried the sanding block attachment for the vacuum. Some dust
but most of it gets sucked into the vacuum.

Franz Fripplfrappl
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike Hennessey" wrote in message
I want to try using a sponge to smooth the drywall
joints instead of sanding in an effort to reduce
the dust generated.

How long should you let the compound dry before
using the damp sponge?

TIA

Mike

my email address contains no
numeric characters

Renting a Portercable power drywall sander with a Portercable tool activated
Shopvac is an option as well.Gets about 90% of the dust.You only have to
hand sand a half inch of the inside corners. We have used them for several
years with GREAT results. Wet sanding with a sponge tends to leave area
"shiney" looking after painting....Good luck....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 5, 8:18*am, (Mike Hennessey) wrote:
I want to try using a sponge to smooth the drywall
joints instead of sanding in an effort to reduce
the dust generated.

How long should you let the compound dry before
using the damp sponge?

A poor technique at best.
Use a good shop vac in conjunction with a MagnaSand unit. The outfit
comes with a screen type sanding pad that is sucke flat to the wall
and makes sanding way easy. The dust is trapped in the MagnaSand water
bucket for easy disposal. Some folks with clay type soil put the wet
dust on their garden since calcium sulfate (gypsum) is a known clay
soil conditioner. Use a spritz of Pam cooking spray to control foaming
in the water trap. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
On Jun 5, 8:18 am, (Mike Hennessey) wrote:
I want to try using a sponge to smooth the drywall
joints instead of sanding in an effort to reduce
the dust generated.

How long should you let the compound dry before
using the damp sponge?

A poor technique at best.
Use a good shop vac in conjunction with a MagnaSand unit. The outfit
comes with a screen type sanding pad that is sucke flat to the wall
and makes sanding way easy. The dust is trapped in the MagnaSand water
bucket for easy disposal. Some folks with clay type soil put the wet
dust on their garden since calcium sulfate (gypsum) is a known clay
soil conditioner. Use a spritz of Pam cooking spray to control foaming
in the water trap. HTH

************************************************** *****8

Better yet, use the knife more carefully so you don't need to sand much. If you
put too much on, you have to sand it off.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Sanding with a large sandpaper holder, either with or without a vacuum
serves to flatten the mud, making a smooth surface across the sheets of
drywall. Unless you have kept the mud buildup to a minimum with no hills or
bumps a wet sponge will only smooth out the bumps into gentle hills and not
take off any excessive mud, which is needed to get a dead flat appearing
joint. The gentle rolling hills will be visible after the first coat of
paint.

"Mike Hennessey" wrote in message
I want to try using a sponge to smooth the drywall
joints instead of sanding in an effort to reduce
the dust generated.

How long should you let the compound dry before
using the damp sponge?

TIA

Mike

my email address contains no
numeric characters

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike Hennessey" wrote in message
I want to try using a sponge to smooth the drywall
joints instead of sanding in an effort to reduce
the dust generated.

How long should you let the compound dry before
using the damp sponge?

I get my dear sweet old mudder to do my drywall finishing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:

On Jun 5, 8:18 am, (Mike Hennessey) wrote:
I want to try using a sponge to smooth the drywall
joints instead of sanding in an effort to reduce
the dust generated.

How long should you let the compound dry before
using the damp sponge?

A poor technique at best.
Use a good shop vac in conjunction with a MagnaSand unit. The outfit
comes with a screen type sanding pad that is sucke flat to the wall
and makes sanding way easy. The dust is trapped in the MagnaSand water
bucket for easy disposal. Some folks with clay type soil put the wet
dust on their garden since calcium sulfate (gypsum) is a known clay
soil conditioner. Use a spritz of Pam cooking spray to control foaming
in the water trap. HTH

Joe

It does work, but even the 220 screen leaves a surface that's too
"scratchy" looking to me under critical lighting.

If you buy one, shop locally, because online prices are much higher -
and make sure you have hearing protectors rated for aircraft carrier
flight decks (no kidding, I have a pair) because that baby really HOWLS!
Posted to alt.home.repair

EXT wrote:

Sanding with a large sandpaper holder, either with or without a vacuum
serves to flatten the mud, making a smooth surface across the sheets of
drywall. Unless you have kept the mud buildup to a minimum with no hills or
bumps a wet sponge will only smooth out the bumps into gentle hills and not
take off any excessive mud, which is needed to get a dead flat appearing
joint. The gentle rolling hills will be visible after the first coat of
paint.

Absolutely right - so if you sponge, be sure to get something BIG like
the ones Lowes & DoItBest hdwe sells:

http://doitbest.com/Sandpaper+and+em...sku-303895.dib

and use it in a circular motion like you're washing a wall.