Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting copper pipes?

I have a few copper pipes that are exposed - meaning they run along the
outside of the exterior block wall, they are lines for an outdoor utility
shower so one line is cold and one line is hot.

I don't like the copper and messy soldering look, and wonder if I can paint
it so it looks distressed and aged a bit, is it possible to paint copper
pipes and fittings? especially with one pipe that can be hot?

If so do I need special paint and do I need to prime it? What can I do to
make it look distressed?

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/2008 8:57 PM MiamiCuse spake thus:

I have a few copper pipes that are exposed - meaning they run along the
outside of the exterior block wall, they are lines for an outdoor utility
shower so one line is cold and one line is hot.

I don't like the copper and messy soldering look, and wonder if I can paint
it so it looks distressed and aged a bit, is it possible to paint copper
pipes and fittings? especially with one pipe that can be hot?

If so do I need special paint and do I need to prime it? What can I do to
make it look distressed?

If it's "distressed" you're after (that term always makes me uneasy,
like wanting something to look damaged or broken), I wonder if a nice
verdigris finish might work. You know, that green patina copper gets
when it oxidizes outside. I think there are kits you can buy to do that
to copper. I don't think it would hurt the pipes (but you might want to
check on that).

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill
Posted to alt.home.repair

Miami,

Yes, you can paint copper pipe. Be sure the pipe is clean.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 3, 8:57*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I have a few copper pipes that are exposed - meaning they run along the
outside of the exterior block wall, they are lines for an outdoor utility
shower so one line is cold and one line is hot.

I don't like the copper and messy soldering look, and wonder if I can paint
it so it looks distressed and aged a bit, is it possible to paint copper
pipes and fittings? *especially with one pipe that can be hot?

If so do I need special paint and do I need to prime it? *What can I do to
make it look distressed?

Thanks,

MC

Yes you can paint the copper. I have in several situations.

If your clean it (remove any residual flux & accumulated dirt) & prime
it & paint with latex (color to "match" block wall?)

it will last a long time, have installations that are 20+ years that
are just fine.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 13:03:37 -0700 (PDT), BobK207
wrote:

[...]

In '95 I had a water softener installed on a new home. To my surprise
the installer painted the copper pipes after the install. He just had
a spray can (paint not known). We sold the home about four years ago.
There was never any corrosion (green film ?) on the pipes. They were
as good as new when we sold the house.

Granted this was inside the garage and not exposed to the desert sun.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Granted this was inside the garage and not exposed to the desert sun.- Hide quoted text -

painted some copper water lines in 1984, they still look fine oday,
although my entire shop needs repainted.

I KNOW it was 1984 since that year I went in business for myself, I do
field service on roll laminating machines, primarily for schools

that time has passed fast
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Jun 3, 11:57*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I have a few copper pipes that are exposed - meaning they run along the
outside of the exterior block wall, they are lines for an outdoor utility
shower so one line is cold and one line is hot.

I don't like the copper and messy soldering look, and wonder if I can paint
it so it looks distressed and aged a bit, is it possible to paint copper
pipes and fittings? *especially with one pipe that can be hot?

If so do I need special paint and do I need to prime it? *What can I do to
make it look distressed?

Thanks,

MC

Yes you can paint them, but you have other options.

You could buff them a bit and they use laquer or poly to coat them.
It would give a real "copper" look.

You could also "wash" them with vinegar or something to turn them
green. You'd have to play a bit with it.

Finally, it's not much of a project to bury a PVC line and just get
rid of the copper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I have a few copper pipes that are exposed - meaning they run along the
outside of the exterior block wall, they are lines for an outdoor utility
shower so one line is cold and one line is hot.

I don't like the copper and messy soldering look, and wonder if I can
paint it so it looks distressed and aged a bit, is it possible to paint
copper pipes and fittings? especially with one pipe that can be hot?

If so do I need special paint and do I need to prime it? What can I do to
make it look distressed?

Thanks,

MC

Yes, but in your town you need a permit. Base cost is $20 plus 5¢ per foot
of tubing to be painted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 21:51:10 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
. ..
I have a few copper pipes that are exposed - meaning they run along the
outside of the exterior block wall, they are lines for an outdoor utility
shower so one line is cold and one line is hot.

I don't like the copper and messy soldering look, and wonder if I can
paint it so it looks distressed and aged a bit, is it possible to paint
copper pipes and fittings? especially with one pipe that can be hot?

If so do I need special paint and do I need to prime it? What can I do to
make it look distressed?

Thanks,

MC

Yes, but in your town you need a permit. Base cost is $20 plus 5¢ per foot
of tubing to be painted.

What's the cost for 1/2" pipe, just to paint? Seminoles need a permit?
Not in the Everglades!

Coconut Grove (Miami) is difficult price right now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pat" wrote in message
[...]

I cannot replace them with PVC, this is supply line not drain. Code
requires copper or PEX and I hated PEX.

vinegar to turn it green? I never thought of it, let me play with it a bit.

I probably should have cut the block wall to recess the pipe into it, just
got lazy...

Thanks,.

Gluing copper pipes Jack Home Repair 17 May 22nd 15 01:33 PM
copper pipes in concrete [email protected] UK diy 5 December 12th 07 12:30 PM
Soldering Copper Pipes Ultraglide Home Repair 7 August 1st 06 04:52 PM
Plastic pipes v copper pipes! Vikki UK diy 11 November 26th 05 03:44 PM
Soldering Copper Pipes Doug Kanter Home Repair 63 March 29th 05 04:47 AM