Posted to alt.home.repair
Ray Ray is offline

Default Toilet-tank leak? ? ?

Since posting I found the source -- a hairline crack in the tank.

Is that something I can seal with caulking, or should I replace the whole
thing?

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 15:49:02 GMT, Ray
wrote:
An odd problem: Our toilet-tank has developed a leak which seems to come
from noshre. From observation the slow drip seems to be coming through the
porcelain itself, although there are no cracks are holes that can be seen.

It most certainly doesn't come from a pipe, because the area all around
the
bulls-eye of the leak remains completely dry.

Is this possible that the water could be seeping through a porous
procelain?

If so, would smearing the area with caulking compound, inside and out,
stop
the leak?

How old is the toilet? Usually what goes are the seals around the tank
water output to the bottom assembly and the seals around screws holding
them
together. Replace the seals; if that doesn't help, replace the whole
toilet. It just isn't worth putting any more effort into it when a new
toilet can be had for $130 complete.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 20:03:53 GMT, Ray wrote:
Since posting I found the source -- a hairline crack in the tank.

Is that something I can seal with caulking, or should I replace the whole
thing?

Maybe use epoxy injection? Maybe you can use a plastic liner, glued in
place with holes for the water supply, tank bolts, and water outlet
and thus achive a complete kluge?

Just replace the damn thing. Is your time worth nothing?
Posted to alt.home.repair
k k is offline

"Ray" wrote in message
Since posting I found the source -- a hairline crack in the tank.

Is that something I can seal with caulking, or should I replace the whole
thing?

If you can find some water glass you can make a permanent repair by just
sloshing it on the inside and brushing on more carefully on the outside.
It's quite invisible. I have a tank that took a major league crack 20 yrs
ago and sealed it thusly. If it was a normal color that I could match to
the tub and sink I probably would have replaced it, but it's a Rheem fixture
and not made anymore. It's a rather unique color, too. Fixing it was my
preference.

I would think you'd also have good luck with something like gorilla glue on
the inside only. I don't know where you'd find water glass these days, but
if there's an old-line farmer's type hardware store around your area, that
would be a good bet. I'm sure you can find it by googling either 'water
glass' or 'potassium silicate'. Maybe just ask a plumber.

Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ray" wrote in message
Since posting I found the source -- a hairline crack in the tank.

Is that something I can seal with caulking, or should I replace the whole
thing?

If you dry the tank out very well, you could try rubbing epoxy into the crack,
especially from the inside. Squeeze it in by rubbing over it with your finger,
then leave a layer over the crack in addition. Sand the surface lightly first.

If the cracked area shows, rub the epoxy in from the outside, but then wipe it
off show it doesn't show. Otherwise, leave a layer there also.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 16:13:01 -0700, Bob F wrote:

"Ray" wrote in message
Since posting I found the source -- a hairline crack in the tank.

Is that something I can seal with caulking, or should I replace the whole
thing?

If you dry the tank out very well, you could try rubbing epoxy into the crack,
especially from the inside. Squeeze it in by rubbing over it with your finger,
then leave a layer over the crack in addition. Sand the surface lightly first.

If the cracked area shows, rub the epoxy in from the outside, but then wipe it
off show it doesn't show. Otherwise, leave a layer there also.

And wrap the whole thing in a bunch of rope to hold it together when the
crack spreads.