Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Asbestos

Well, I hope the naysayers who think people get rich from dying of
asbestos cancer never get sick themsleves. Incidence of mesothelioma
is increasing worldwide, and the majority of new cases have NO
occupational link to asbestos - they were exposed through the
environment. EPA and WHO and all experts now warn that no exposure -
no matter how brief - is safe. A single fiber can induce disease in
susceptible individuals. Significant numbers of people with meso trace
their exposure to home renovation projects. And because asbestos is
not banned, it is still present in consumer goods including many DIY
products.

When you are exposed passively or second hand, you can rarely bring
any sort of legal case. Most people don't get any remuneration - the
few "million dollar cases" are isolated examples. And if you think the
lawyers are getting rich, well, why not take a look at the
corporations responsible: Dow Chemical, Halliburton, WR Grace -
they're not exactly begging for dimes from passersby!

No amount of money can buy back your life, and EVERYONE is at risk. If
you or someone you loved was diagnosed with meso, I bet you'd want a
cure to be waiting. That's all we patients and families want too....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 2, 9:42*pm, wrote:
[...]

Amen to that. And don't forget that the reason some law suits win is
because the companies involved KNEW back in the 1930s that the stuff
kills and they conspired to cover it up for continued profits while
the people in the know stayed a safe distance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Well, I hope the naysayers who think people get rich from dying of
asbestos cancer never get sick themsleves. Incidence of mesothelioma
is increasing worldwide, and the majority of new cases have NO
occupational link to asbestos - they were exposed through the
environment. EPA and WHO and all experts now warn that no exposure -
no matter how brief - is safe. A single fiber can induce disease in
susceptible individuals. Significant numbers of people with meso trace
their exposure to home renovation projects. And because asbestos is
not banned, it is still present in consumer goods including many DIY
products.

"... dying of asbestos cancer..." is the flawed premise. Someone with such a
disease has to prove its cause and, so far, they've been spectacularly
unable to do so.

When you are exposed passively or second hand, you can rarely bring
any sort of legal case. Most people don't get any remuneration - the
few "million dollar cases" are isolated examples. And if you think the
lawyers are getting rich, well, why not take a look at the
corporations responsible: Dow Chemical, Halliburton, WR Grace -
they're not exactly begging for dimes from passersby!

Dow-Corning was forced into bankruptcy by flawed claims of harm from
silicone breast implants.

No amount of money can buy back your life, and EVERYONE is at risk. If
you or someone you loved was diagnosed with meso, I bet you'd want a
cure to be waiting. That's all we patients and families want too....

Anytime anyone implies "It's not about the money...," it's about the money.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 3, 7:24*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:
[...]

They were not forced they choose to file bankrupcy in order to
protect the assets of the corporation. If the claims are not valid
then Dow had many very good lawyers who could fight for them. As for
asbestos it is true that many factors come into play in any cancer law
suit but mesothelioma (or whatever it is called) is only caused by
asbestos. Some of these companies did not exist when the original
deception about asbestos was perpatrated but when you buy the assets
of a company you also buy the liabilities. So what should we do ?
Just let people continue to die rather than address a terrible wrong
that has been done?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

Dow-Corning was forced into bankruptcy by flawed claims of harm from
silicone breast implants.

..

They were not forced they choose to file bankrupcy in order to
protect the assets of the corporation. If the claims are not valid
then Dow had many very good lawyers who could fight for them.

*******************************
Them smart lawyers protected the assets. Many a non-valid claim has ended
up costing a lot of money or put companies out of business.

As for
asbestos it is true that many factors come into play in any cancer law
suit but mesothelioma (or whatever it is called) is only caused by
asbestos. Some of these companies did not exist when the original
deception about asbestos was perpatrated but when you buy the assets
of a company you also buy the liabilities. So what should we do ?
Just let people continue to die rather than address a terrible wrong
that has been done?

***********************
Reader's Digest had a good article about this type of lawsuit a few months
back. There are some scams and shady dealings and double and triple dipping
by people that are not sick or have other lung problems. Sad for the few
that truly deserve help, but just as sad for those that are scamming and
taking their potential help away. Congress is not the place to "fix"
anything. Keep in mind, the companies getting sued are not paying, we are,
in the cost of goods we buy.

As for "letting them die", what do you propose to do to prevent that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 3, 10:06*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

As for "letting them die", what do *you propose to do to prevent that?

Supporting medical research so effective treatments can be found and
people won't be left to die.

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

[...]

The Readers Digest are you kidding me or what. That great medical
journal? The scientific powerhouse of literature known as The readers
digest. The money that it costs to defend Dow and other companies
like it works in their favor because almost no one can spend enough to
fight back. As for the dieing why not just try to help them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Dow-Corning was forced into bankruptcy by flawed claims of harm from
silicone breast implants.

No amount of money can buy back your life, and EVERYONE is at risk.
If you or someone you loved was diagnosed with meso, I bet you'd
want a cure to be waiting. That's all we patients and families want
too....

Anytime anyone implies "It's not about the money...," it's about the
money.

They were not forced they choose to file bankrupcy in order to
protect the assets of the corporation.

Right. And the demand: "Your money or your life" is not a forced choice
either.

If the claims are not valid
then Dow had many very good lawyers who could fight for them.

It is now settled fact that the claims were not valid. Silicone breast
implants are back on the market. If we are to kneel at the alter of "truth"
or "fact" the plaintiffs in the Dow-Corning lawsuits should be forced to
return their awards.

As for
asbestos it is true that many factors come into play in any cancer law
suit but mesothelioma (or whatever it is called) is only caused by
asbestos. Some of these companies did not exist when the original
deception about asbestos was perpatrated but when you buy the assets
of a company you also buy the liabilities. So what should we do ?

Just let people continue to die rather than address a terrible wrong
that has been done?

I agree. It's hard to know exactly how many people died in the South Tower
of the World Trade Center because asbestos was not used to retard the fire
damage to its steel beams. The North Tower - where asbestos WAS used - stood
for an hour longer than the South Tower, even though it was hit first.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Which is a totally meaningless conclusion because the two hits and
subsequent damage were not identical.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 5, 8:51*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:

[...]

for an hour longer than the South Tower, even though it was hit first.- Hide quoted text -

So is it corporations first and human beings second with you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Reader's Digest had a good article about this type of lawsuit a few months
back.

The Readers Digest are you kidding me or what. That great medical
journal? The scientific powerhouse of literature known as The readers
digest.

*************************************

Read the article and then get back to me. Afraid to read some facts?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 5, 9:47*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
wrote in message
Reader's Digest had a good article about this type of lawsuit a few months
back.

The Readers Digest * are you kidding me or what. *That great medical
journal? *The scientific powerhouse of literature known as The readers
digest.

*************************************

Read the article and then get back to me. *Afraid to read some facts?

The fact that some story was printed in the reders digest does not
make it factual. The fact that women had disfigurement due to leaking
plastic bags of silicone gel in their breasts does not prove
anything. Maybe they used their tits for punching bags at the local
gym. Every body knows the bags could not leak on their own even
though they always do in my fridge. The women should be sued for
plastic bag abuse.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Read the article and then get back to me. Afraid to read some facts?

The fact that some story was printed in the reders digest does not
make it factual. The fact that women had disfigurement due to leaking
plastic bags of silicone gel in their breasts does not prove
anything. Maybe they used their tits for punching bags at the local
gym. Every body knows the bags could not leak on their own even
though they always do in my fridge. The women should be sued for
plastic bag abuse.

WTF does silicone have to do with asbestos? You are not a sound minded
person and have no idea how to properly debate an issue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 6, 10:58*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
wrote in message
Read the article and then get back to me. Afraid to read some facts?

The fact that some story was printed in the reders digest does not
make it factual. *The fact that women had disfigurement due to leaking
plastic bags of silicone gel in their breasts does not prove
anything. *Maybe they used their tits for punching bags at the local
gym. *Every body knows the bags could not leak on their own even
though they always do in my fridge. *The women should be sued for
plastic bag abuse.

WTF does silicone have to do with asbestos? *You are not a sound minded
person and have no idea how to properly debate an issue.

I did not bring up the silicone thing but it is similar in that the
companies profited from the practice that they knew had high liability
exposure but chose to go ahead and then when the **** hit the fan the
companies cried foul "The lawyers are killing us".

DryLok over Asbestos Tile? (or how to waterproof over asbestos tile) Dan Home Repair 4 May 21st 17 02:01 AM
asbestos [email protected] Home Repair 1 October 22nd 06 09:10 AM
Asbestos Old Boy UK diy 43 October 11th 06 12:54 PM
What is it, asbestos? Grumps UK diy 8 October 11th 06 09:24 AM
Asbestos - what do you do? OhDear UK diy 19 January 14th 06 09:24 PM