Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hardwood floor is stained

My hardwood floor has an ugly dark stain (about the size of a soup
bowl). I suppose it was caused by dog pee.

After study, I realize nothing short of refinishing the floor will
remove the stain and return the floor to it's formerly pristine
condition. However, due to circumstances it's quite inconvenient to
have that done now.

Question for anyone who might know: If I just leave the stain, and
not have it removed for the next couple of years, will it cause any
further damage or deterioration to the floor? Over and above what
already occured at the moment the stain occured?

TIA.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Adam Lane" wrote in message
My hardwood floor has an ugly dark stain (about the size of a soup
bowl). I suppose it was caused by dog pee.

After study, I realize nothing short of refinishing the floor will
remove the stain and return the floor to it's formerly pristine
condition. However, due to circumstances it's quite inconvenient to
have that done now.

Question for anyone who might know: If I just leave the stain, and
not have it removed for the next couple of years, will it cause any
further damage or deterioration to the floor? Over and above what
already occured at the moment the stain occured?

Peroxide-soaked paper towels, three layers or so, laid on the stain with
little overlap will bleach the stain without harming the finish. No kidding.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 17:19:55 -0700 (PDT), Adam Lane
wrote:

My hardwood floor has an ugly dark stain (about the size of a soup
bowl). I suppose it was caused by dog pee.

After study, I realize nothing short of refinishing the floor will
remove the stain and return the floor to it's formerly pristine
condition. However, due to circumstances it's quite inconvenient to
have that done now.

Question for anyone who might know: If I just leave the stain, and
not have it removed for the next couple of years, will it cause any
further damage or deterioration to the floor? Over and above what
already occured at the moment the stain occured?

TIA.

A stain is not "alive" and can not grow. But, if the stain is due to
a slow or intermittent leak it should not be ignored. Otherwise,
treat it just like a stain on a table.
Posted to alt.home.repair

-Thanks, Phisherman. I believe it was, indeed caused by an
intermittent leak. However, fortunately the dog that had it has moved
to a new residence now ;-)
I was worried the urine might somehow decay the wood over time. But
thanks for your advise to the contrary.

-I think that might work, cybercat. But I suppose after the stain
removed, that area will no longer color match the rest of the floor.