Posted to alt.home.repair
bryanska

Default Hardwood floor stained from carpet padding

Moved into a 1955 house with carpet over hardwood. Pulled up some
carpet tonight and discovered that the dark red foam in the carpet
padding has stained our hardwood floors!

The stains are like spots of dried blood. Water doesn't soak them out.
We're considering refinishing anyway, but does anyone know what causes
this?

Could it have come from steam cleaning?

(You know how carpet padding is made of different-colored chunks of
foam? Only one color, the dark red, bled onto the floor)

Posted to alt.home.repair
cutter

bryanska wrote:
Moved into a 1955 house with carpet over hardwood. Pulled up some
carpet tonight and discovered that the dark red foam in the carpet
padding has stained our hardwood floors!

The stains are like spots of dried blood. Water doesn't soak them out.
We're considering refinishing anyway, but does anyone know what causes
this?

Could it have come from steam cleaning?

(You know how carpet padding is made of different-colored chunks of
foam? Only one color, the dark red, bled onto the floor)

bryanska,
I all likelyhood the stains are from pet urine and have probably
permiated the wood. It probably would not be able to be sanded out.

cutter

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 2 Jan 2006 19:09:21 -0800, "cutter" wrote:

bryanska wrote:
Moved into a 1955 house with carpet over hardwood. Pulled up some
carpet tonight and discovered that the dark red foam in the carpet
padding has stained our hardwood floors!

The stains are like spots of dried blood. Water doesn't soak them out.
We're considering refinishing anyway, but does anyone know what causes
this?

Could it have come from steam cleaning?

(You know how carpet padding is made of different-colored chunks of
foam? Only one color, the dark red, bled onto the floor)

bryanska,
I all likelyhood the stains are from pet urine and have probably
permiated the wood. It probably would not be able to be sanded out.

Before I concluded that, I'd like the OP to compare the placement of
the stains with the red foam in the pad. I've no experience, but he
has a theory and he should run with it. Maybe not every piece of foam
will show red on the floor, but every red spot will be under and
shaped like a piece of red foam. It might have taken a water spill or
something, even a pet spill, to bring the red out.

OTOH, in the late 1950's several murders were covered up in just this
way, by getting red carpet padding and carpeting the rooms where the
crimes occurred. After one killer remorsefully committed suicide and
left a note telling what he had done, several unrelated crimes covered
up in the same way were solved.

cutter

OK, just kidding.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Carpet vs hardwood for home sale? Ken Korona Home Repair 49 December 19th 05 03:42 AM
"Draft Carpet Cleaning FAQ for comments" david lang UK diy 7 November 20th 05 07:29 PM
Carpet Cleaning FAQ david lang UK diy 6 November 20th 05 02:05 AM
Carpet to hardwood floor threshold [email protected] Home Repair 2 May 1st 05 10:13 PM
Carpet problems, please help [email protected] Home Repair 11 January 10th 05 10:31 PM