Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Low Water Pressure Options

Hi Everyone.

I have an old house - circa 1920, and have 1/2" water pipes throughout
the house, and a 3/4" main that was replaced within the past 5 years.
My problem is that, with 1/2" pipes, a faucet turned on downstairs
will affect the flow while someone is in the shower upstairs.

Apart from changing all the pipes to 3/4" to increase overall flow
throughout the house - an option that is going to be extremely
expensive and invasive, I would like to see if there are any other
options. For example, is there a whole-house pump that I can attach
near the main that can increase the water pressure in my house in
order to avoide the impacts I mentioned above?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 9:57*am, "
wrote:
Hi Everyone.

I have an old house - circa 1920, and have 1/2" water pipes throughout
the house, and a 3/4" main that was replaced within the past 5 years.
My problem is that, with 1/2" pipes, a faucet turned on downstairs
will affect the flow while someone is in the shower upstairs.

Apart from changing all the pipes to 3/4" to increase overall flow
throughout the house - an option that is going to be extremely
expensive and invasive, I would like to see if there are any other
options. *For example, is there a whole-house pump that I can attach
near the main that can increase the water pressure in my house in
order to avoide the impacts I mentioned above?

I just replaced hot water pipe that was from the 40s that was so
corroded only a dribble came through, you couldnt even see through a
4" section cut out. Increasing pressure on old pipe is asking for
trouble, Replacing with Cpvc and Pvc is easy and cheap. Usualy the HW
gets clogged first, but it could be another issue, a clog somewhere.
Is HW ok, is it all the same age, what is water pressure incomming.