Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Swimming Pool Energy Saving Tips

Finally the world is coming to its senses. We are entering a time
where being eco-friendly is the “In” thing to do. For years we have
been pushing conservation and energy saving tips for our homes. Light
bulbs are now phasing out and being replaced by bulbs that use less
wattage. People are wrapping their water heaters and adding skylights
in their homes for extra light. These things are all great when it
comes to helping the environment and saving energy. Unfortunately some
of us own pools, which can weigh heavy on the electric bill not to
mention the water & gas bill. Here are a few tips and tricks to help
lower your monthly bills and conserve energy.

The 2-Speed Pump
Some manufactures are switching to a 2-speed pump system, which allows
the pool to run at a lower Horsepower (HP) when needed. Your pool
should run about 8 to 10 hours a day at a minimum to keep it from
turning the dreaded color green. This can take its toll on your
electric bill. So companies are starting to offer a 2-speed pump
system, which runs at normal speed and a low speed. For example, low
speed would be used as your normal running speed and high speed would
be used when you vacuum or add any chemicals to your pool. This will
help to save energy and lower you electric bill without sacrificing
the quality and color of your pool water.

The Solar Fish
If you have a gas or electric heater for your pool, then this tip is
perfect for you. What would you say if I told you that you only had to
use your heater once a year to maintain the heat in your pool. Well
its simple. Solar fish are a fairly new product now made by many
different companies (some companies will refer to them as liquid solar
blankets). These magical energy saving giants are only about $5 to $10
dollars and last a whole month. They release a small amount of liquid
into your pool creating a molecule thick cover that you cannot touch,
smell or taste at the waterline of your pool. What they do is keep
heat from escaping the water by limiting evaporation. This means on
those warm summer days where the temperature of your pool could reach
80 degrees and by nightfall drop down to 70 degrees will no longer
take place. So at the beginning of the summer you can use your gas
heater and heat your pool to about 80 degrees or so, drop in some
solar fish, don’t run your filter at night and keep you pool at 80
degrees all summer long without ever turning your heater back on, if
done right. See you local pool dealer for more information. (In
reality using any type of solar heating product for your pool is a
great idea.)

The Skimmer Door
Each year (especially in the Northeast) homeowners close their pools
for the winter. Most companies who offer this service will often drain
the water below the skimmer to blow out the lines. There is a product
out there that is simply called a skimmer door or a skimmer blocker
that will allow you not to drain your pool in the wintertime therefore
reducing the use of water to refill your pool every year. This is a
simple tip but over time is very effective.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Interesting, I was not familiar with the solar fish. It makes me wonder
what fraction of heat is lost to evaporation vs plain old radiation.
Obviously there is some and it would be significant but is it the majority
compared to radiation. If you live in the southwest and the humidity is up
around 80% most of the summer, this may not offer much of an advantage but
there may also not be much of a need.

Naturally a solar blanket will help with both (radiation and vaporization)
and the fish will not reduce radiative cooling at all but the cost advantage
$30-$40 per season is good in the short haul but may even out over a 10 year
term, in fact an insulated blanket may have an advantage due to the better
insulation it provides (preventing evaporation is not insulation but I can
go with it here). The solar fish has the obvious advantage of being passive
and not needing to be deployed each evening, a very attractive feature
indeed. "if done right" also needs the caviat "and weather cooperates" A
rainy summer can throw the whole calculation off by introducing another
cooling effect.

In the desert states where keeping the pool warm is not the primary concern,
this product would at least save much water and reduce local humidity closer
to natural levels but probably not enough to prompt pool owners in AZ to
pay more for consumables.

"Swim University" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 7:53 am, Bubba wrote:
On Thu, 22 May 2008 16:12:46 +1200, "Telstra"
wrote:

Running your pool pump at a lower speed
will require a longer runtime to achieve the necessary turnover of the
water. In other words, the two speed motor costs more to purchase and
wont save a penny.
Nice try "Swim University".

Yeah, not a logical (well, maybe, long term, if it doesn't take double
the run time) pitch, but people usually don't make logical decisions,
more often they're emotional.

But you could get an "over-sized" pump and have a "high" setting for
vacuuming, or if you're lazy like me, when you want to pump more water
through the skimmer.

The Solar Fish
If you have a gas or electric heater for your pool, then this tip is
perfect for you. What would you say if I told you that you only had to
use your heater once a year to maintain the heat in your pool.

Then I would say that you, "Swim University", are so full of **** that
Im going to need a shovel to dig myself out of here.

What is the most likely major ingredient of a product that creates a
persistent film on the surface of water...?

I think I'll just keep using the solar cover, that I already own. I'm
not that damn lazy.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 4:25*pm, Swim University wrote:
[...]

Solar Fish...creating a molecule thick cover that you cannot
touch...

Why can't I touch it? Does it have some sort of skin-avoidance
property that makes it run away from my finger?