Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Floor Spongy under LINO

My neighbour's floor beside bathtub which feels soft under lino.

SMALL area affected. He is NOT a computer literate person & asked me
to post this.

I cautioned him not to bath but to shower as I feel floor joists might
be compromized.
For pix of bathroom go to:

http://www.cpv.ca/house.html

then click on photos.

I dont mind helping him fix it but does anyone have similar problem?
What is best way to remedy rotten floor joists? Thanks in advance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 30, 12:32*pm, dpb wrote:
wrote:
My neighbour's floor beside bathtub which feels soft under lino.

I dont mind helping him fix it but does anyone have similar problem?
What is best way to remedy rotten floor joists? Thanks in advance.

Have to take up flooring, repair/replace affected areas.

It may well only be the subflooring but you'll never know until it's
uncovered to find out how extensive the damage is.

If there's a crawl space, perhaps you could inspect from there.

--

Yes, first thing to do is see if you can inspect it from underneath.
That can give you an idea of the extent of the problem. If it's
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 30, 9:17*am, wrote:
My neighbour's floor beside bathtub which feels soft under lino.

SMALL area affected. He is NOT a computer literate person & asked me
to post this.

I cautioned him not to bath but to shower as I feel floor joists might
be compromized.
For pix of bathroom go to:

http://www.cpv.ca/house.html

then click on photos.

I dont mind helping him fix it but does anyone have similar problem?
What is best way to remedy rotten floor joists? Thanks in advance.

OP-

How long as the floor felt spongy?

If just a few months or so....I'd venture a guess that the damage is
minimal & confined to the subfloor material.

If you stop the water getting to the subfloor you might even be able
to just let everything dry out.

I'm guessing lack of adequate caulking at the tub / floor interface
and the fact that shower curtains don't work 100%.

The only way to know for sure (unless rot has gotten into the joists)
is to take up the flooring & check everything out from above.

Inspection from the crawl space will allow you to see the condition of
the joists (at least the sides & bottom of them) but not the upper
surface of the subfloor.

If the rot / sponginess is confined to the subfloor material you won't
see much from the crawlspace.

Bring an ice pick with you into the crawlspace to probe the members.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 30, 11:17*am, wrote:
My neighbour's floor beside bathtub which feels soft under lino.

SMALL area affected. He is NOT a computer literate person & asked me
to post this.

I cautioned him not to bath but to shower as I feel floor joists might
be compromized.
For pix of bathroom go to:

http://www.cpv.ca/house.html

then click on photos.

I dont mind helping him fix it but does anyone have similar problem?
What is best way to remedy rotten floor joists? Thanks in advance.

It could be a night mare to fix, worst case even the tub is removed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My neighbour's floor beside bathtub which feels soft under lino.

SMALL area affected. He is NOT a computer literate person & asked me
to post this.

I cautioned him not to bath but to shower as I feel floor joists might
be compromized.
For pix of bathroom go to:

http://www.cpv.ca/house.html

then click on photos.

I dont mind helping him fix it but does anyone have similar problem?
What is best way to remedy rotten floor joists? Thanks in advance.

How about a link to the photo of the bathroom floor? I'm not interested
in checking out the "for
sale" crap or waiting for a dozen photos of whatever to download.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My neighbour's floor beside bathtub which feels soft under lino.

SMALL area affected. He is NOT a computer literate person & asked me
to post this.

I cautioned him not to bath but to shower as I feel floor joists might
be compromized.
For pix of bathroom go to:

http://www.cpv.ca/house.html

then click on photos.

I dont mind helping him fix it but does anyone have similar problem?
What is best way to remedy rotten floor joists? Thanks in advance.

It doesn't seem likely that one small area would be spongy if the joists
were ready to collapse.
Probably has rotted subfloor from water leaking under the lino. Does he
have a basement?

I had similar problem in a rental home I lived in, but around the
toilet. Landlord took up the toilet,
replaced section of subfloor with plywood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
My neighbour's floor beside bathtub which feels soft under lino.

SMALL area affected. He is NOT a computer literate person & asked me
to post this.

I cautioned him not to bath but to shower as I feel floor joists might
be compromized.
For pix of bathroom go to:

http://www.cpv.ca/house.html

then click on photos.

I dont mind helping him fix it but does anyone have similar problem?
What is best way to remedy rotten floor joists? Thanks in advance.

The best way to fix joists are to sister them and cut out any rot.

If the place is for sale, he needs to get some better photos and fix the
fence. Showing three cars outside blocking the house is not very impressive
to perspective buyers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote in
m:

wrote:

My neighbour's floor beside bathtub which feels soft under lino.

SMALL area affected. He is NOT a computer literate person & asked me
to post this.

I cautioned him not to bath but to shower as I feel floor joists might
be compromized.
For pix of bathroom go to:

http://www.cpv.ca/house.html

then click on photos.

I dont mind helping him fix it but does anyone have similar problem?
What is best way to remedy rotten floor joists? Thanks in advance.

How about a link to the photo of the bathroom floor? I'm not
interested in checking out the "for
sale" crap or waiting for a dozen photos of whatever to download.

Yea, it started download real estate sale junk and I just cancelled it
when the wood stove showed. Assumed it was spam in disguise.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
t:

wrote in message
.
..
My neighbour's floor beside bathtub which feels soft under lino.

SMALL area affected. He is NOT a computer literate person & asked me
to post this.

I cautioned him not to bath but to shower as I feel floor joists
might be compromized.
For pix of bathroom go to:

http://www.cpv.ca/house.html

then click on photos.

I dont mind helping him fix it but does anyone have similar problem?
What is best way to remedy rotten floor joists? Thanks in advance.

The best way to fix joists are to sister them and cut out any rot.

If the place is for sale, he needs to get some better photos and fix
the fence. Showing three cars outside blocking the house is not very
impressive to perspective buyers.

I went back and looked again letting it download. At least they all have
plates on them.

"I have chosen not to use the services of a professional realtor."

Not hard to tell. Seller needs to learn a little about clutter. People
can and should live any way they want but when you are showing a house to
sell, you can't.

Nice bag of trash hanging on the doorknob there. Must be a reminder.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

wrote in message
My neighbour's floor beside bathtub which feels soft under lino.

SMALL area affected. He is NOT a computer literate person & asked me
to post this.

I cautioned him not to bath but to shower as I feel floor joists might
be compromized.
For pix of bathroom go to:

http://www.cpv.ca/house.html

then click on photos.

I dont mind helping him fix it but does anyone have similar problem?
What is best way to remedy rotten floor joists? Thanks in advance.

The best way to fix joists are to sister them and cut out any rot.

If the place is for sale, he needs to get some better photos and fix the
fence. Showing three cars outside blocking the house is not very impressive
to perspective buyers.

Doesn't do much for the prospective ones, either.

How to remove old black lino tile backing from pine floor before sanding? [email protected] Home Repair 15 June 14th 07 12:38 PM
slate tiles onto plywood floor previously covered in lino Duncan UK diy 1 March 21st 07 12:35 PM
Tiling kitchen floor over Lino docskeg UK diy 1 June 8th 06 12:11 PM
Spongy floor joist S Almond UK diy 2 October 30th 05 09:28 PM
Laying floor tiles on old lino/vinyl tiles Steve UK diy 4 September 28th 03 08:41 PM