Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207[_2_] BobK207[_2_] is offline

Default Floor Spongy under LINO

On Apr 30, 9:17*am, wrote:
My neighbour's floor beside bathtub which feels soft under lino.

SMALL area affected. He is NOT a computer literate person & asked me
to post this.

I cautioned him not to bath but to shower as I feel floor joists might
be compromized.
For pix of bathroom go to:

http://www.cpv.ca/house.html

then click on photos.

I dont mind helping him fix it but does anyone have similar problem?
What is best way to remedy rotten floor joists? Thanks in advance.

OP-

How long as the floor felt spongy?

If just a few months or so....I'd venture a guess that the damage is
minimal & confined to the subfloor material.

If you stop the water getting to the subfloor you might even be able
to just let everything dry out.

I'm guessing lack of adequate caulking at the tub / floor interface
and the fact that shower curtains don't work 100%.

The only way to know for sure (unless rot has gotten into the joists)
is to take up the flooring & check everything out from above.

Inspection from the crawl space will allow you to see the condition of
the joists (at least the sides & bottom of them) but not the upper
surface of the subfloor.

If the rot / sponginess is confined to the subfloor material you won't
see much from the crawlspace.

Bring an ice pick with you into the crawlspace to probe the members.

cheers
Bob