Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage door help!

I received a single 7x9 clopay garage door from someone replacing
their door. It has all the hardware and even the installation
instructions. I have been for a week trying to “retrofit” it to my
12x16 shed.

I have the track installed and can manually move it up or down but
have tried and tried and cant get the torsion spring to work in
helping with raising and lowering the door. I have done it countless
times all that ends up happening is the wire on the pulleys on both
ends end up “birdnesting” and going everywhere. Yesterday it actually
helped bull it up before it finally birdnested.

What can I do? Would having one pulley slightly higher than the other
cause this problem? I have had to do the best job I could with the
limited room I have.

Another thing I noticed is when I manually raise the door, the bottom
roller seems to be in a different place on the track on one side
verses the other. I measured the tracks on both sides though and they
seem to be the same height.

One last thing when I put it all the way up the end of the door just
barely touched a support on my shed roof. Just enough where the door
wants to come down rather than stay in the upright position. Is there
something I can add or do to keep the door up?

Anyway I appreciate any help as this is driving me nuts and my wife is
tired of me spending all my time on this!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 10:08*am, "Blattus Slafaly ? (3) ¼ "
wrote:
stryped wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you are not locking the torque spring to the shaft after
tensioning it. Are you tensioning it in the right direction? Are the
cables coming off the spool? Hard to say not seeing what you are doing.
You have to rotate the spring torsion base until you have enough lifting
tension on the cables. It is a dangerous operation if you do not know
what you are doing. Get a qualified installer to fix it.

--
Blattus Slafaly *? 3 * * *7/8- Hide quoted text -

I am tigntening the set screws. The wire is coming off the end spools.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 10:38*am, wrote:
On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 08:08:15 -0700 (PDT), stryped

wrote:
stryped wrote:
[...]

It sounds like you are winding the wrong way or the drum is not lined
up- Hide quoted text -

How do you ensure the drum is lined up?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
stryped wrote:
[...]

If the cable is tracking off the spool then it is not winding on
perpendicular to it and at an angle instead. Either the spools are
crooked or the cable is not straight or the cable is getting caught on
the door somewhere and making the cable track off the spool.

--
Blattus Slafaly *? 3 * * *7/8- Hide quoted text -

Any secret to ensure everything is perpedicular to it?