Posted to alt.home.repair
DT[_2_] DT[_2_] is offline

Default Garage door help!

In article ,
says...

I received a single 7x9 clopay garage door from someone replacing
their door. It has all the hardware and even the installation
instructions. I have been for a week trying to =93retrofit=94 it to my
12x16 shed.

I have the track installed and can manually move it up or down but
have tried and tried and cant get the torsion spring to work in
helping with raising and lowering the door. I have done it countless
times all that ends up happening is the wire on the pulleys on both
ends end up =93birdnesting=94 and going everywhere. Yesterday it actually
helped bull it up before it finally birdnested.

This is really strange. I have installed a number of Clopay doors, they are
dead simple to install. Do you have the model with the easy wind spring
tensioner, or the old fashioned kind you have to use two steel rods to wind?

I can't even imagine the cable birdnesting, it is under considerable tension at
all times. It is hard to get things misaligned, as the cable drums only go one
place. Be sure you have the left and right drums on the correct side. Be sure
the spring is wound the right direction.

--
Dennis