Posted to alt.home.repair

Default pressure testing a house gas line ?

I am going to add a short run from my main inside gas line to service a new
cooktop. It will only be about a 10 ft run...the service line is in the
ceiling a little over from the range location. Question is...do you
normally test the new line from the meter to the rest of the system...and
what is the normal pressure in an inside gas line (black pipe
throughout)...looks linke am 1" or 1 1/4" run ?

I used to work for the gas company in Chicago a long time ago when I was out
of school for awhile...we laid...welded...and tested hundreds of 2" lines in
the time I was there. I would rather pressure test than use the old soapy
bubble test.

Any additional help/guidance will be appreciated.

TR

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tim wrote:
I am going to add a short run from my main inside gas line to service a new
cooktop. It will only be about a 10 ft run...the service line is in the
ceiling a little over from the range location. Question is...do you
normally test the new line from the meter to the rest of the system...and
what is the normal pressure in an inside gas line (black pipe
throughout)...looks linke am 1" or 1 1/4" run ?

I used to work for the gas company in Chicago a long time ago when I was out
of school for awhile...we laid...welded...and tested hundreds of 2" lines in
the time I was there. I would rather pressure test than use the old soapy
bubble test.

Any additional help/guidance will be appreciated.

TR

normal gas line pressure is only a couple psi.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tim wrote:
I am going to add a short run from my main inside gas line to service
a new cooktop. It will only be about a 10 ft run...the service line
is in the ceiling a little over from the range location. Question
is...do you normally test the new line from the meter to the rest of
the system...and what is the normal pressure in an inside gas line
(black pipe throughout)...looks linke am 1" or 1 1/4" run ?

I used to work for the gas company in Chicago a long time ago when I
was out of school for awhile...we laid...welded...and tested hundreds
of 2" lines in the time I was there. I would rather pressure test
than use the old soapy bubble test.

Any additional help/guidance will be appreciated.

Blow up a balloon. Put it on the pipe. Does the balloon shrink?

The pressure from the balloon will be greater than anything the pipe will
ever see.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 24, 8:56�pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Tim wrote:
I am going to add a short run from my main inside gas line to service
a new cooktop. �It will only be about a 10 ft run...the service line
is in the ceiling a little over from the range location. �Question
is...do you normally test the new line from the meter to the rest of
the system...and what is the normal pressure in an inside gas line
(black pipe throughout)...looks linke am 1" or 1 1/4" run ?

I used to work for the gas company in Chicago a long time ago when I
was out of school for awhile...we laid...welded...and tested hundreds
of 2" lines in the time I was there. �I would rather pressure test
than use the old soapy bubble test.

Any additional help/guidance will be appreciated.

Blow up a balloon. Put it on the pipe. Does the balloon shrink?

The pressure from the balloon will be greater than anything the pipe will
ever see.

gas line pressure a few ounces max.

avoid ever pressure testing old lines, as it tends to cause leaks
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tim" wrote in message
I am going to add a short run from my main inside gas line to service a new
cooktop. It will only be about a 10 ft run...the service line is in the
ceiling a little over from the range location. Question is...do you
normally test the new line from the meter to the rest of the system...and
what is the normal pressure in an inside gas line (black pipe
throughout)...looks linke am 1" or 1 1/4" run ?

I used to work for the gas company in Chicago a long time ago when I was
out of school for awhile...we laid...welded...and tested hundreds of 2"
lines in the time I was there. I would rather pressure test than use the
old soapy bubble test.

Any additional help/guidance will be appreciated.

TR

The right way would be to buy a test gauge Pump the whole system up with a
bike pump only needs 10 psi for a couple hours. Put the gauge were the new
cook top will be. You will most likely have to shut of all the valves to any
gas fired equipment ( water heater Furnace ect.) You might be able to start
the additional line with a valve Make sure the valve has WOG on it ( water
oil gas ) then just shut that off test the additional pipe. It's always best
to soap all the joints as an extra precaution I always use about 5 wraps of
Teflon tape on the treads then use rectorseal ( pipe dope ) Just to be safe
you might leave the gauge on the line until your ready to hook up the new
cook top that's the advantage of an in line valve .
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FH6GP6?...0&linkCode=asn

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Tim wrote:
I am going to add a short run from my main inside gas line to service
a new cooktop. It will only be about a 10 ft run...the service line
is in the ceiling a little over from the range location. Question
is...do you normally test the new line from the meter to the rest of
the system...and what is the normal pressure in an inside gas line
(black pipe throughout)...looks linke am 1" or 1 1/4" run ?

I used to work for the gas company in Chicago a long time ago when I
was out of school for awhile...we laid...welded...and tested hundreds
of 2" lines in the time I was there. I would rather pressure test
than use the old soapy bubble test.

Any additional help/guidance will be appreciated.

Blow up a balloon. Put it on the pipe. Does the balloon shrink?

The pressure from the balloon will be greater than anything the pipe will
ever see.

I'd love to see a building inspector face looking at that. You know your
talking about a gas line in a house , a leaky gas line can cause an
explosion ( happens all the time ) They have proper test for a reason I
don't think a balloon in the end of a pipe is very good advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

normal gas line pressure is only a couple psi.

nate

But the normal test by code is much higher. The uniform plumbing code is 10
psi for 15 minutes, IIRC.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

normal gas line pressure is only a couple psi.

nate

But the normal test by code is much higher. The uniform plumbing code is
10 psi for 15 minutes, IIRC.

Your starting to see a 24 Hour craft test on gas lines and of coarse the
inspector puts his lock on the craft box. . This is in commercial work , but
I'm sure it will gravitate into housing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

normal gas line pressure is only a couple psi.

If that!

Gas pressure is usually measured in "Inches of Water."

30' of water is about 15 psi. 1 psi is about 2' or 24" of water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sac Dave wrote:
Any additional help/guidance will be appreciated.

Blow up a balloon. Put it on the pipe. Does the balloon shrink?

The pressure from the balloon will be greater than anything the pipe
will ever see.

I'd love to see a building inspector face looking at that. You know
your talking about a gas line in a house , a leaky gas line can cause
an explosion ( happens all the time ) They have proper test for a
reason I don't think a balloon in the end of a pipe is very good
advice.

I didn't suggest the balloon for the benefit of the building inspector; I
suggested it for the homeowner.

If you think it's an unacceptable, goofey, idea (and I agree on the goofey
part), what is your suggestion for a 1-2oz pressure test?

Didn't think so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Sac Dave wrote:
Any additional help/guidance will be appreciated.

Blow up a balloon. Put it on the pipe. Does the balloon shrink?

The pressure from the balloon will be greater than anything the pipe
will ever see.

I'd love to see a building inspector face looking at that. You know
your talking about a gas line in a house , a leaky gas line can cause
an explosion ( happens all the time ) They have proper test for a
reason I don't think a balloon in the end of a pipe is very good
advice.

I didn't suggest the balloon for the benefit of the building inspector; I
suggested it for the homeowner.

If you think it's an unacceptable, goofey, idea (and I agree on the goofey
part), what is your suggestion for a 1-2oz pressure test?

Didn't think so.

Possibly you don't understand the idea of a pressure test. You test a
gas line using a pressure much higher than the service pressure but
still well within the pressure rating of the components to force
marginal joints to reveal themselves.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Sac Dave wrote:
[...]

About 15 years ago they replaced my gas meter. When I got home from
work there was a note on my door for me to call and somebody would come
out and turn the gas back on. When the tech got there he tested the
line first. He hooked a manometer to the line. Then he blew into a
tube he hooked up to it. When the manometer dropped back down he
started looking for the leak. The leak turned out to be in the meter
itself. But the test was not some huge super-dooper thing. Just as much
pressure as he could get into the line with one breath.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:

I didn't suggest the balloon for the benefit of the building
inspector; I suggested it for the homeowner.

If you think it's an unacceptable, goofey, idea (and I agree on the
goofey part), what is your suggestion for a 1-2oz pressure test?

Didn't think so.

Possibly you don't understand the idea of a pressure test. You test a
gas line using a pressure much higher than the service pressure but
still well within the pressure rating of the components to force
marginal joints to reveal themselves.

Okay, I'll play. What do you suggest for 1-2 lb pressure test? A tire gauge?

Posted to alt.home.repair

the suggestion is 10 psi for 15 minutes just like stated before. very
simple with a shrader valve, a pressure guage, some reducing bushings and a
't'. and a simple manual tire pump can supply the pressure. so using the
excuse of not having a compressor is not valid either.

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Sac Dave wrote:
Any additional help/guidance will be appreciated.

Blow up a balloon. Put it on the pipe. Does the balloon shrink?

The pressure from the balloon will be greater than anything the pipe
will ever see.

I'd love to see a building inspector face looking at that. You know
your talking about a gas line in a house , a leaky gas line can cause
an explosion ( happens all the time ) They have proper test for a
reason I don't think a balloon in the end of a pipe is very good
advice.

I didn't suggest the balloon for the benefit of the building inspector; I
suggested it for the homeowner.

If you think it's an unacceptable, goofey, idea (and I agree on the goofey
part), what is your suggestion for a 1-2oz pressure test?

Didn't think so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

normal gas line pressure is only a couple psi.

around here, its ONE HALF PSI

Test pressure on the gauge was 15# IIRC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 24, 7:00 pm, "Tim" wrote:
I am going to add a short run from my main inside gas line to service a new
cooktop. It will only be about a 10 ft run...the service line is in the
ceiling a little over from the range location. Question is...do you
normally test the new line from the meter to the rest of the system...and
what is the normal pressure in an inside gas line (black pipe
throughout)...looks linke am 1" or 1 1/4" run ?

I used to work for the gas company in Chicago a long time ago when I was out
of school for awhile...we laid...welded...and tested hundreds of 2" lines in
the time I was there. I would rather pressure test than use the old soapy
bubble test.

Any additional help/guidance will be appreciated.

TR

I can't believe that, after around 15 responses, nobody has a clue on
this. Pressure to an appliance, in the US, is about 10 inches on a
water column. 1 psi is equal to 27.71 inches on a water column (at
sea level).

The other posters are right though, it makes sense to test at a higher
pressure. \\

JK
Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote in message
. ..
HeyBub wrote:
Sac Dave wrote:
[...]

Why don't you just get a condom and a rubber band? Balloons and condoms are
actually microscopically porous. That is why helium balloons go flat after
a while. Get the proper schrader type tester. They're cheap, and will look
better than a fluorescent red ribbed cockscomb condom.

Well, maybe not better, but more professional. You're trying to show a
government official that your system will hold pressure and not end up in a
gas explosion.

Which one do you think is more professional?

Nuff said.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Gilmer wrote:
normal gas line pressure is only a couple psi.

If that!

Gas pressure is usually measured in "Inches of Water."

30' of water is about 15 psi. 1 psi is about 2' or 24" of water.

Hi,
Are you sure 1 psi = 2 feet of water column?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:

John Gilmer wrote:

normal gas line pressure is only a couple psi.

If that!

Gas pressure is usually measured in "Inches of Water."

30' of water is about 15 psi. 1 psi is about 2' or 24" of water.

Hi,
Are you sure 1 psi = 2 feet of water column?

Close enuf.
http://www.iprocessmart.com/techsmart/pressure_help.htm

An easy way to remember it is: "half a pound per foot..."

Jim