Posted to alt.home.repair
S. Barker S. Barker is offline

Default pressure testing a house gas line ?

the suggestion is 10 psi for 15 minutes just like stated before. very
simple with a shrader valve, a pressure guage, some reducing bushings and a
't'. and a simple manual tire pump can supply the pressure. so using the
excuse of not having a compressor is not valid either.

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Sac Dave wrote:
Any additional help/guidance will be appreciated.

Blow up a balloon. Put it on the pipe. Does the balloon shrink?

The pressure from the balloon will be greater than anything the pipe
will ever see.

I'd love to see a building inspector face looking at that. You know
your talking about a gas line in a house , a leaky gas line can cause
an explosion ( happens all the time ) They have proper test for a
reason I don't think a balloon in the end of a pipe is very good
advice.

I didn't suggest the balloon for the benefit of the building inspector; I
suggested it for the homeowner.

If you think it's an unacceptable, goofey, idea (and I agree on the goofey
part), what is your suggestion for a 1-2oz pressure test?

Didn't think so.