Posted to alt.home.repair
Big_Jake Big_Jake is offline

Default pressure testing a house gas line ?

On Apr 24, 7:00 pm, "Tim" wrote:
I am going to add a short run from my main inside gas line to service a new
cooktop. It will only be about a 10 ft run...the service line is in the
ceiling a little over from the range location. Question is...do you
normally test the new line from the meter to the rest of the system...and
what is the normal pressure in an inside gas line (black pipe
throughout)...looks linke am 1" or 1 1/4" run ?

I used to work for the gas company in Chicago a long time ago when I was out
of school for awhile...we laid...welded...and tested hundreds of 2" lines in
the time I was there. I would rather pressure test than use the old soapy
bubble test.

Any additional help/guidance will be appreciated.

TR

I can't believe that, after around 15 responses, nobody has a clue on
this. Pressure to an appliance, in the US, is about 10 inches on a
water column. 1 psi is equal to 27.71 inches on a water column (at
sea level).

The other posters are right though, it makes sense to test at a higher
pressure. \\

JK