Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Maple roots and water meters

I seem to have a maple whose roots are getting close to the water
meter. Because of the clay in the area and possibly the fact the I use a
sprinkler system. the roots are on the top of the ground.
Should I be worried about the roots messing up the meter or the
pipes to the meter or from there to the house? If so, what should I do
to stop there march?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 9:54*am, Kurt Ullman wrote:
* I seem to have a maple whose roots are getting close to the water
meter. Because of the clay in the area and possibly the fact the I use a
sprinkler system. the roots are on the top of the ground.
* * Should I be worried about the roots messing up the meter or the
pipes to the meter or from there to the house? If so, what should I do
to stop there march?

No I would not worry, its not your watering or soil but many maple
varieties have roots near the surface that kill grass if stressed from
shade, and strangle any plant life, keeping it from maturing fully.
Many maples compete heavily for near surface water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
I seem to have a maple whose roots are getting close to the water
meter. Because of the clay in the area and possibly the fact the I use a
sprinkler system. the roots are on the top of the ground.
Should I be worried about the roots messing up the meter or the
pipes to the meter or from there to the house? If so, what should I do
to stop there march?

In Arizona, I had the roots from some kind Ash/Cottonwood tree find their
way to my sprinkler system manifold. It must have been leaking just a
little, but when the roots got done working their way between the pieces of
pipe (all plastic), they had cracked the manifold in several places. Then
because of the expansive soil (clay), I ended up with the front wall of the
house rising, the result of which was a lot of settling cracks on the
inside.

Tom G.

Tree roots and water supply pipe concern. Vortex UK diy 14 December 22nd 07 03:07 PM
water meters Sam UK diy 13 November 18th 07 01:03 AM
water meters Dave UK diy 86 March 14th 06 02:11 AM
New Water Meters asalcedo UK diy 12 November 22nd 05 11:36 AM
Why not compulsory water meters? Timothy Murphy UK diy 59 August 1st 05 04:02 PM