Timothy Murphy

Default Why not compulsory water meters?

Probably OT, but my attention was drawn by a posting on water meters,
and it made me wonder again
why water meters are not a standard part of the water supply?

Every year one reads of water shortages in parts of the UK
(not so much in Ireland, but it is not unknown here).
One would have thought a charge by water usage
would be an obvious response.
I was staying in a relative's house in Brussels,
and they had an enormous meter in the basement,
which I assume is standard there.

Are water meters inordinately expensive?
Or do they have some disadvantage?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
ben

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Probably OT, but my attention was drawn by a posting on water meters,
and it made me wonder again
why water meters are not a standard part of the water supply?

Every year one reads of water shortages in parts of the UK
(not so much in Ireland, but it is not unknown here).
One would have thought a charge by water usage
would be an obvious response.
I was staying in a relative's house in Brussels,
and they had an enormous meter in the basement,
which I assume is standard there.

Are water meters inordinately expensive?
Or do they have some disadvantage?

Because its more cost effective when the meter is supplying for just one
person, but is expensive when their is a family of four and up.

Incidently should you get a water meter installed in your house and you come
to sell the house prospective buyers will be put off by this as the meter
once installed cannot be taken out.

Doctor Drivel

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
Probably OT, but my attention was drawn by a posting on water meters,
and it made me wonder again
why water meters are not a standard part of the water supply?

Every year one reads of water shortages in parts of the UK
(not so much in Ireland, but it is not unknown here).
One would have thought a charge by water usage
would be an obvious response.
I was staying in a relative's house in Brussels,
and they had an enormous meter in the basement,
which I assume is standard there.

Are water meters inordinately expensive?
Or do they have some disadvantage?

Water meters would focus the mind. In modern well insulated houses (all
relevant as the UK is not well insulated to other countries), with two
bathrooms etc, many have larger water than energy bills.

On the Continent, aerated taps are common, which use far les water than
straight through as we tend to have. They also have smaller pipes to
ceratin basins, etc, this reduces the waste in a dead-leg hot pipe.

In the Benelux countries rain water reclamation is standard in new houses,
with large underground water tank in the garden.

There many simple measures to reduce water consumption:

- Low flush toilets
- Aerated taps.
- Install "flow regulators" before taps, or in certain pipe lines. Firehose
pressures are not required at basins and sinks.
- secondary circulation pumps, to ensure hot water is at each pipe with a
dead-leg.
- timed garden irrigation.
- low water usage appliances
- no high flow power showers.

All simple and can be implemented in most homes. In a new house most of
this would add no cost.

Doctor Drivel

"ben" wrote in message
. uk...
Timothy Murphy wrote:
[...]

Put in water waste prevention measures, which doesn't mean you do without in
any way, and then it is an attraction.

:::Jerry::::

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
Probably OT, but my attention was drawn by a posting on water

meters,
and it made me wonder again
why water meters are not a standard part of the water supply?

How would you meter the amount of leaks in the company pipes, unless
you meter the amount leaving the reservoir and deduct that used by
the customers....

Every year one reads of water shortages in parts of the UK
(not so much in Ireland, but it is not unknown here).

The problem is not what is used by the domestic consumer, the problem
is caused by the non action of 'fat cat' private water companies....

One would have thought a charge by water usage
would be an obvious response.

snip

As long as the fat cat water company directors and share holders are
charged for the water loss cause by leaks - not fixed due to bonus
payments and share dividends etc.

Timothy Murphy wrote:

Probably OT, but my attention was drawn by a posting on water meters,
and it made me wonder again
why water meters are not a standard part of the water supply?

Every year one reads of water shortages in parts of the UK
(not so much in Ireland, but it is not unknown here).

They do not exist, it is a simple fiction designed to limit the use to
the high but not infinite level of supply.

We have so much water it is unmetered. We have so much water it is
acceptable to run garden sprinklers all day long, day after day. And
some do.

Are water meters inordinately expensive?
Or do they have some disadvantage?

Theyre a way of getting a big hike in prices in through the back door.
Last I heard they also were fitted pre pipework that is the water co's
responsibility, so if a leak occurs in that pipe, you pay for it.
Unlimitedly.

This is why theyre not considered desirable.

Water metering is inevitable at some time, all new houses get them now.
But if youre on unmeterd, unless youre planning to stay single for
life, stay unmetered.

NT

Doctor Drivel

wrote in message
oups.com...
Timothy Murphy wrote:

[...]

Water meters should be fitted inside a house, so that any underground
leakage is not charged to the customer. The water companies say that from
the curtlidge the consumer is responsible for the pipe work. This is
garbage. The gas people are responsible for the gas mains up to the
maintap, even though it may run 100 metres on your property.

raden

In message , Timothy Murphy
writes
Probably OT, but my attention was drawn by a posting on water meters,
and it made me wonder again
why water meters are not a standard part of the water supply?

Every year one reads of water shortages in parts of the UK
(not so much in Ireland, but it is not unknown here).
One would have thought a charge by water usage
would be an obvious response.
I was staying in a relative's house in Brussels,
and they had an enormous meter in the basement,
which I assume is standard there.

Are water meters inordinately expensive?
Or do they have some disadvantage?

Well, the water companies would probably find it actually cheaper to fix
their leaks (up to 25% IIRC) than fit water meters to every house

Of course, the easiest option is to do as little as possible and hit the
customers instead

--
geoff
Mary Fisher

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
Probably OT, but my attention was drawn by a posting on water meters,
and it made me wonder again
why water meters are not a standard part of the water supply?

I think they should be.

Are water meters inordinately expensive?

I don't think so. Ours is very small and neat, it was fitted within twenty
minutes from answering the door to leaving.

Or do they have some disadvantage?

Only the tired old ones people will come out with.

Mary

--
Timothy Murphy

Mary Fisher

wrote in message
oups.com...
Timothy Murphy wrote:

Are water meters inordinately expensive?
Or do they have some disadvantage?

Theyre a way of getting a big hike in prices in through the back door.

I don't know why you say that. We asked for our meter to be fitted. We opted
to pay by DD, monthly, on what the company deemed would be our usage for the
equipment we had (we pay all our bills like that,through sheer laziness). It
was less than we used to pay on the 'normal' system. The first year ended
last month, we had a refund of £68 and the monthly payment has been reduced
accordingly.

Last I heard they also were fitted pre pipework that is the water co's
responsibility,

No they don't.

Water metering is inevitable at some time, all new houses get them now.
But if youre on unmeterd, unless youre planning to stay single for
life, stay unmetered.

You could say the same thing about electricity, gas, telephone, petrol and,
well, food.

Why shouldn't you pay for what you use?

Mary

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message

Are water meters inordinately expensive?
Or do they have some disadvantage?

Well, the water companies would probably find it actually cheaper to fix
their leaks (up to 25% IIRC) than fit water meters to every house

Ours is doing. The loss has been reduced hugely.

Of course, the easiest option is to do as little as possible and hit the
customers instead

No it isn't. a good water company cares for its product and its customers.

Mary

--
geoff

Peter Johnson

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 12:21:50 GMT, "ben" wrote:

Incidently should you get a water meter installed in your house and you come
to sell the house prospective buyers will be put off by this as the meter
once installed cannot be taken out.

It wasn't a problem when I sold a house with one fitted a few years
ago.
Mary Fisher

"Peter Johnson" wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 12:21:50 GMT, "ben" wrote:

Incidently should you get a water meter installed in your house and you
come
to sell the house prospective buyers will be put off by this as the meter
once installed cannot be taken out.

It wasn't a problem when I sold a house with one fitted a few years
ago.

It isn't a problem round here either, judging by the speed the For Sale
notices go up and come down.

Mary

ben

Peter Johnson wrote:
On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 12:21:50 GMT, "ben" wrote:

Incidently should you get a water meter installed in your house and
you come to sell the house prospective buyers will be put off by
this as the meter once installed cannot be taken out.

It wasn't a problem when I sold a house with one fitted a few years
ago.

Who bought the house, a couple with no children? and did you point out the
water meter to the buyers?

Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Timothy Murphy
writes
Probably OT, but my attention was drawn by a posting on water meters,
and it made me wonder again
why water meters are not a standard part of the water supply?

Every year one reads of water shortages in parts of the UK
(not so much in Ireland, but it is not unknown here).
One would have thought a charge by water usage
would be an obvious response.
I was staying in a relative's house in Brussels,
and they had an enormous meter in the basement,
which I assume is standard there.

Are water meters inordinately expensive?
Or do they have some disadvantage?

Well, the water companies would probably find it actually cheaper to fix
their leaks (up to 25% IIRC) than fit water meters to every house

Of course, the easiest option is to do as little as possible and hit the
customers instead

Well said Maxie. Well said.

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"raden" wrote in message

Are water meters inordinately expensive?
Or do they have some disadvantage?

Well, the water companies would probably find it actually cheaper to fix
their leaks (up to 25% IIRC) than fit water meters to every house

Ours is doing. The loss has been reduced hugely.

Of course, the easiest option is to do as little as possible and hit the
customers instead

No it isn't. a good water company cares for its product and its customers.

Maybe, but you used the word "good" there

The amount of water lost in the watercos' pipework is a matter of record
and is IMO fairly disgraceful.

Privatisation of the watercos was sold on the "fact" that it would allow
money to be put into repairing the infrastructure, but, of course, the
attitude is one of take the money and run

--
geoff
Brian G

Mary Fisher wrote:
"raden" wrote in message

Are water meters inordinately expensive?
Or do they have some disadvantage?

Well, the water companies would probably find it actually cheaper to
fix their leaks (up to 25% IIRC) than fit water meters to every house

Ours is doing. The loss has been reduced hugely.

Of course, the easiest option is to do as little as possible and hit
the customers instead

No it isn't. a good water company cares for its product and its
customers.

Sorry Mary but,

"No it isn't. a good water company cares for its product and its customers"

It's a fact of life that the only thing that a (privatised) water company
cares for (along with the other utilites) is the high salary levels of their
directors and the dividends that they pay to their shareholders - and 'sod
the customer' and water leak repairs - just look at their accounts and mains
renewal/maintenance costs.

Brian G

(Yes that is my name)

Mary Fisher wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com.
Timothy Murphy wrote:

Are water meters inordinately expensive?
Or do they have some disadvantage?

Theyre a way of getting a big hike in prices in through the back door.

I don't know why you say that.

Comparing the costs each way of average water consumption maybe?

We asked for our meter to be fitted. We opted
to pay by DD, monthly, on what the company deemed would be our usage for =

the
equipment we had (we pay all our bills like that,through sheer laziness).=

It
was less than we used to pay on the 'normal' system. The first year ended
last month, we had a refund of =A368 and the monthly payment has been red=

uced
accordingly.

so what? All it tells us is you use less than average. Thats no
surprise.

Last I heard they also were fitted pre pipework that is the water co's
responsibility,

No they don't.

ok. The pipework in question is buried in gardens, and the user has no
way of knowing its leaking like mad until they get an astronomical
bill. With unmetered supplies this real risk doesnt exist.

So whereas it is not your problem if youre unmetered, it becomes your
problem if on a meter.

Water metering is inevitable at some time, all new houses get them now.
But if youre on unmeterd, unless youre planning to stay single for
life, stay unmetered.

You could say the same thing about electricity, gas, telephone, petrol an=

d,
well, food.

its perfectly obvious one can not say that about any of those. I dont
know of any people on unmetered supplies of electricity, gas,
telephone, petrol and, well, food. Maybe you do.

Why shouldn't you pay for what you use?

I do, we all do. Most of us pay a flat rate based on average use.

NT

Mark Williams

Timothy Murphy writes:

Probably OT, but my attention was drawn by a posting on water
meters, and it made me wonder again why water meters are not a
standard part of the water supply?

They are at the supply end (and at various points in the supply
network). A cynic might suggest that water companies would prefer not
to have ubiquitous metering at the consumer end because it might draw
attention to the amount of water lost through all the leaks that they
consider unprofitable to repair.

Every year one reads of water shortages in parts of the UK (not so
much in Ireland, but it is not unknown here). One would have
thought a charge by water usage would be an obvious response.

That depends on how much is charged per unit and the threshold beyond
which people are prepared to consider changing their usage.

If people were charged more for their water in order to regulate their
usage, they might expect the money to be spent on the construction of
a `national grid' for water rather than diverted into fat cats'
pockets, too.

[...]

Are water meters inordinately expensive?
Or do they have some disadvantage?

I'd quite like a water meter (or, more to the point, for my bill to
reflect actual usage), but live in a block of flats with shared riser
located inconveniently for meter reading. Can a meter be fitted in
such a setup without expensive re-engineering of the supply? The
water company web site is unhelpfully vague...

--
Mark
Mary Fisher

wrote in message
oups.com...
Mary Fisher wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com.
Timothy Murphy wrote:

Are water meters inordinately expensive?
Or do they have some disadvantage?

Theyre a way of getting a big hike in prices in through the back door.

I don't know why you say that.

Comparing the costs each way of average water consumption maybe?

We asked for our meter to be fitted. We opted
to pay by DD, monthly, on what the company deemed would be our usage for
the
equipment we had (we pay all our bills like that,through sheer laziness).
It
was less than we used to pay on the 'normal' system. The first year ended
last month, we had a refund of £68 and the monthly payment has been
reduced
accordingly.

so what? All it tells us is you use less than average. Thats no
surprise.

In my experience, of discussing it with other metered users, our experience
is far from unique. None of them would go back to the old system.

Last I heard they also were fitted pre pipework that is the water co's
responsibility,

No they don't.

ok. The pipework in question is buried in gardens, and the user has no
way of knowing its leaking like mad until they get an astronomical
bill. With unmetered supplies this real risk doesnt exist.

So whereas it is not your problem if youre unmetered, it becomes your
problem if on a meter.

The meter is fitted in the house.

Water metering is inevitable at some time, all new houses get them now.
But if youre on unmeterd, unless youre planning to stay single for
life, stay unmetered.

You could say the same thing about electricity, gas, telephone, petrol
and,
well, food.

its perfectly obvious one can not say that about any of those. I dont
know of any people on unmetered supplies of electricity, gas,
telephone, petrol and, well, food. Maybe you do.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

Why shouldn't you pay for what you use?

I do, we all do. Most of us pay a flat rate based on average use.

But if you were metered perhaps you might be more careful about what you
use - as you do (I imagine) with electricity, gas etc.

Mary

NT

Mary Fisher

Of course, the easiest option is to do as little as possible and hit the
customers instead

No it isn't. a good water company cares for its product and its customers.

Maybe, but you used the word "good" there

Yorkshire water is exemplorary.

The amount of water lost in the watercos' pipework is a matter of record
and is IMO fairly disgraceful.

So what are you doing about it?

Privatisation of the watercos was sold on the "fact" that it would allow
money to be put into repairing the infrastructure, but, of course, the
attitude is one of take the money and run

That says more about your attitude than that of the water companies. They
can't turn things round easily - and they can't control users' usage

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Brian G" wrote in message

No it isn't. a good water company cares for its product and its
customers.

Sorry Mary but,

"No it isn't. a good water company cares for its product and its
customers"

It's a fact of life that the only thing that a (privatised) water company
cares for (along with the other utilites) is the high salary levels of
their
directors and the dividends that they pay to their shareholders - and 'sod
the customer' and water leak repairs - just look at their accounts and
mains
renewal/maintenance costs.

Well, in the case of Yorkshire Water at least you're wrong. I do look at the
accounts and records.

Mary

Brian G

(Yes that is my name)

ben

Mark Williams wrote:
Timothy Murphy writes:

[...]

A Water meter can be fitted in any property it sits between the main inlet
in your flat and the feed pipe throughtout.

Just inform them you wish to have a meter installed and let them do the
rest.
They will send someone out and install it for free. However if its a council
flat then you'd better get in touch with them first, if its private ask your
landlord if he/she has any objection.

I lived in a House where it was three floors/flats I was paying £179 a year,
to a single person thats a lot of money, so I got the meter installed and
ended up paying £26 per six months, thats a hell of of a saving.

Mary Fisher

"ben" wrote in message
. uk...

[...]

So I'm not alone on this group as in Real Life. Thanks, Ben,

Mary

ben

Mary Fisher wrote:
"ben" wrote in message
. uk...

[...]

It wasn't a case of wanting a meter installed in my flat, it was a case
having to because it seems I was paying for the whole house regardless of
any other occupants being there or not, apparently it goes by the ratable
value of the property banding in that particular area, so in other words as
far as the waterboard was concerned the full amount was being paid
regardless of there being three flats.

What made me furious was the same house across the road was occupied by a
family of 8 who where paying the same amount and using a lot more water and
yet I was in a flat.Where's the justice in that?

Mary Fisher

"ben" wrote in message
. uk...

What made me furious was the same house across the road was occupied by a
family of 8 who where paying the same amount and using a lot more water
and
yet I was in a flat.Where's the justice in that?

There is none.

We should pay for what we use, no more, no less.

Mary

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

Of course, the easiest option is to do as little as possible and hit the
customers instead

No it isn't. a good water company cares for its product and its customers.

Maybe, but you used the word "good" there

Yorkshire water is exemplorary.

The amount of water lost in the watercos' pipework is a matter of record
and is IMO fairly disgraceful.

So what are you doing about it?

Privatisation of the watercos was sold on the "fact" that it would allow
money to be put into repairing the infrastructure, but, of course, the
attitude is one of take the money and run

That says more about your attitude than that of the water companies. They
can't turn things round easily - and they can't control users' usage

Meanwhile on Radio 4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/facethefacts/

--
geoff
Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

Of course, the easiest option is to do as little as possible and hit
the
customers instead

No it isn't. a good water company cares for its product and its
customers.

Maybe, but you used the word "good" there

Yorkshire water is exemplorary.

The amount of water lost in the watercos' pipework is a matter of record
and is IMO fairly disgraceful.

So what are you doing about it?

Privatisation of the watercos was sold on the "fact" that it would allow
money to be put into repairing the infrastructure, but, of course, the
attitude is one of take the money and run

That says more about your attitude than that of the water companies. They
can't turn things round easily - and they can't control users' usage

Meanwhile on Radio 4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/facethefacts/

They weren't talking about ALL water companies.

Mary

--
geoff

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

[...]

And where did I say they were ?

--
geoff
Doctor Drivel

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary

Fisher
writes

[...]

Some of them are clear crooks.

Mary Fisher wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com.
Timothy Murphy wrote:

Are water meters inordinately expensive?
Or do they have some disadvantage?

Theyre a way of getting a big hike in prices in through the back door.

I don't know why you say that.

Comparing the costs each way of average water consumption maybe?

snip

so what? All it tells us is you use less than average. Thats no
surprise.

In my experience, of discussing it with other metered users, our experience
is far from unique. None of them would go back to the old system.

50% of users use less than average. Its normally the ones that use less
than average that consider going over to meters.

Water metering is inevitable at some time, all new houses get them now.
But if youre on unmeterd, unless youre planning to stay single for
life, stay unmetered.

You could say the same thing about electricity, gas, telephone, petrol
and,
well, food.

its perfectly obvious one can not say that about any of those. I dont
know of any people on unmetered supplies of electricity, gas,
telephone, petrol and, well, food. Maybe you do.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

Im lost for words.

Why shouldn't you pay for what you use?

I do, we all do. Most of us pay a flat rate based on average use.

But if you were metered perhaps you might be more careful about what you
use - as you do (I imagine) with electricity, gas etc.

No, Im careful already.

NT

John Rumm

Timothy Murphy wrote:

Probably OT, but my attention was drawn by a posting on water meters,
and it made me wonder again
why water meters are not a standard part of the water supply?

It seems to be a policy in these parts (not sure if it is enforced by
the council or more likely Anglian Water), that every time a new account
is opened (i.e. a house changes hands) they insist on fitting a meter.

Every year one reads of water shortages in parts of the UK
(not so much in Ireland, but it is not unknown here).
One would have thought a charge by water usage
would be an obvious response.

Depends on the cost / benefit analysis. Fitting meters is not free.
There are also a large number of properties (especialy in the south
east) with only one or two occupants. These will typically use less than
"average" and hence be paying more for their water than they would based
solely on usage. From the water co's point of view this is a "good thing"!

From a leak control POV, many companies seem to find dropping the
pressure is a more cost effective stopgap measure.

I was staying in a relative's house in Brussels,
and they had an enormous meter in the basement,
which I assume is standard there.

Are water meters inordinately expensive?

Probably not, unless you count the revenue lost from low users...

Or do they have some disadvantage?

Some seem to give a slight reduction in flow rate.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Doctor Drivel wrote:

There many simple measures to reduce water consumption:

- Low flush toilets

These can be a mixed blessing IME. Some you need several flushes get the
job(ie) finished!

--
Cheers,

John.

s--p--o--n--i--x

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 20:29:04 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

In my experience, of discussing it with other metered users, our experience
is far from unique. None of them would go back to the old system.

I had a meter at my last house. My current house has no meter.

I would prefer to remain unmetered!

sponix
:::Jerry::::

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

There many simple measures to reduce water consumption:

- Low flush toilets

These can be a mixed blessing IME. Some you need several flushes

get the
job(ie) finished!

They can also leave solid waste in sections of drainage pipes,
causing problems.

The real point is, this country is not short of water, it does have a
grossly inefficient distribution system were water can't easily be
moved around the country and were distribution pipes sometimes
resemble colanders...

ben

:::Jerry:::: wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

There many simple measures to reduce water consumption:

- Low flush toilets

These can be a mixed blessing IME. Some you need several flushes get
the job(ie) finished!

They can also leave solid waste in sections of drainage pipes,
causing problems.

The real point is, this country is not short of water, it does have a
grossly inefficient distribution system were water can't easily be
moved around the country and were distribution pipes sometimes
resemble colanders...

Not to mention the old Victorian sewers that are still in use and need
widening/replacing as they are incapable of dispersing rainwater in heavy
floods.

Doctor Drivel

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

There many simple measures to reduce water consumption:

- Low flush toilets

These can be a mixed blessing IME. Some you need several flushes get the
job(ie) finished!

If the whole unit is designed to be low flush then no problems. Some people
only change the cistern part and then have problems.

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Hot water recirculation [email protected] Home Repair 18 August 9th 04 05:32 AM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Why do gas water heaters fail? I-zheet M'drurz Home Repair 40 January 12th 04 09:59 PM