Posted to alt.home.repair

Default stucco on ceiling?

I bought a house with a large drywalled ceiling on an outdoor lanai. While
it doesn't get wet, the drywall tape separates and it's clear from the
patching that this has happened frequently in the past. So I'm exploring
some alternative ceilings and someone suggested putting up lath and stucco.
I have questions about that:

1. Is this at all a good idea, or are there some strong reasons not to do
it? (I haven't investigated cost, but will deal with that as a separate
issue once I know what's viable.)

2. The joists in the ceiling are 24" o.c.. This would be the only holding
point for the wire lath since the drywall won't support weight. So, would
the lath+stucco sag?

3. If sagging would be a problem, I would think it could be solved by
adding a plywood 'underlayment' (? overlayment ?). Do you think that would
be satisfactory and, if so, what thickness plywood?

4. I would think doing ceilings would be highly unusual for most stucco
contractors. So what questions should I ask them to help figure out whether
they'd really be able to handle this?

Thanks in advance for any help or pointers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Newser wrote:
I bought a house with a large drywalled ceiling on an outdoor lanai. While
it doesn't get wet, the drywall tape separates and it's clear
from the patching that this has happened frequently in the past. So
I'm exploring some alternative ceilings and someone suggested putting
up lath and stucco. I have questions about that:

1. Is this at all a good idea, or are there some strong reasons not
to do it? (I haven't investigated cost, but will deal with that as
a separate issue once I know what's viable.)

No idea. What would happen if you ripped off all the miserable tape and
gave the whole thing a thin coat of thinset (thicker over seams to level)?
Thin it down and apply with brush or roller for texture?
___________

2. The joists in the ceiling are 24" o.c.. This would be the only
holding point for the wire lath since the drywall won't support
weight. So, would the lath+stucco sag?

I would think so, don't know. Mostly I'm just killing time waiting for my
wife so we can go to a movie
______________

3. If sagging would be a problem, I would think it could be solved by
adding a plywood 'underlayment' (? overlayment ?). Do you think that
would be satisfactory and, if so, what thickness plywood?

1/2" should do it. Heck, you could use rotary sliced luan (cheap and
innocuous), stain it, cover seams with solid wood with a nice shaped edge
and have a jazzy paneled ceiling. I used to see those in Honolulu, looked
good with a light wash of thin white paint. May do it myself on my front
entry porch.
______________

4. I would think doing ceilings would be highly unusual for most
stucco contractors. So what questions should I ask them to help
figure out whether they'd really be able to handle this?

"Can you do this? For sure"?

Thanks in advance for any help or pointers.

NP. We spend half our life waiting for traffic lights, the other half
waiting for women

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Newser wrote:

[...]

We have a stucco ceiling in the atrium of our condo. The atrium is
mostly open but for the roof and where the wings of the
building form partial perimeter walls. We had roof repairs which
included repairs to sagging stucco. I watched the
process, which was pretty cool. It is wire lath, but don't know how far
apart the rafters are.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 18, 10:23*am, "Newser" wrote:
[...]

Old issues might be a lack of venting. Consider instaling vents to let
air circulate until you see if it still peels and you have other
issues, or the stucco might just fall down with moisture problems
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 11:23:34 -0400, "Newser"
wrote:

I bought a house with a large drywalled ceiling on an outdoor lanai. While
it doesn't get wet, the drywall tape separates and it's clear from the
patching that this has happened frequently in the past. So I'm exploring
some alternative ceilings and someone suggested putting up lath and stucco.
I have questions about that:

1. Is this at all a good idea, or are there some strong reasons not to do
it? (I haven't investigated cost, but will deal with that as a separate
issue once I know what's viable.)

Yes. I had my patio ceiling stuccoed. *I* helped a friend built the
patio cover.

2. The joists in the ceiling are 24" o.c.. This would be the only holding
point for the wire lath since the drywall won't support weight. So, would
the lath+stucco sag?

I would suspect it would, especially if only nails were used to hang
the sheet rock (24" OC). I would not risk lath over the sheet rock. I
would pull the sheet rock down, clean up and install the metal lath.

In my are stucco is applied in three coats (scratch, brown and then
finish).

3. If sagging would be a problem, I would think it could be solved by
adding a plywood 'underlayment' (? overlayment ?). Do you think that would
be satisfactory and, if so, what thickness plywood?

If you tear out the sheet rock there would no cost for wood

4. I would think doing ceilings would be highly unusual for most stucco
contractors. So what questions should I ask them to help figure out whether
they'd really be able to handle this?

It's done every day here.

Make sure they wire-tie the edges of the metal lath together. If they
do not tie the edges you may see hairline cracks appear across the
ceiling...

Thanks in advance for any help or pointers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My dad lives in Florida and his patio and front porch were done
with drywall. The tape lets go, though the drywall does not sag.
I pulled the tape and left the drywall. Retaped with mesh tape
and setting type drywall mud. 8 years with no signs of a problem.

--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Newser" wrote in message
[...]

stucco touch-up: best way to closely match existing stucco Ojas Home Repair 7 October 11th 16 07:44 PM
Stucco for carport ceiling? al Home Repair 4 April 6th 07 08:00 PM
What is Stucco Harry Home Repair 2 August 20th 06 05:19 AM
Stucco ceiling repaid question Rick2 Home Repair 1 August 9th 05 08:40 PM
stucco FH Home Repair 2 April 24th 05 07:13 AM