Posted to alt.home.repair

Default removing wallpaper

I have removed a bunch of wall paper in my time, none of it easily. I
have tried the store purchased chemicals, steamers, scraping, etc. Its
just a messy job. I need to remove a border in the half bath. Looking
for reccomendations on getting the paper and glue off the wall. Are
there any home recipes you have had success with such as mild soap and
warm water? Any new or faithful products at the home center to ease
the job? Really hope this isnt going to turn into a full days job to
remove a border. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Matt wrote:

I have removed a bunch of wall paper in my time, none of it easily. I
have tried the store purchased chemicals, steamers, scraping, etc. Its
just a messy job. I need to remove a border in the half bath. Looking
for reccomendations on getting the paper and glue off the wall. Are
there any home recipes you have had success with such as mild soap and
warm water? Any new or faithful products at the home center to ease
the job? Really hope this isnt going to turn into a full days job to
remove a border. Thanks.

Assuming the rest of the wall is painted, it should not be difficult.
If you can, just pull the border
off. You will probably get the surface/vinyl coating, leaving rough
paper on the wall. Spray the
paper a couple of times with plain water and let the water soak in for
5-10 min. Then scrape
gently. I've taken off lots of paper, including two coats that had each
been painted. The only
trick is getting water to the paste. I tried a "Paper Tiger" once for
piercing the paper, but don't
like it - very coarse sandpaper, used carefully, works as well taking
care not to cut down into
the paper coating of the wallboard.

If you have most of the paper off, some remains, just spray again and
scrape some more. Wash
the wall to get the remaining paste off - it should quit feeling slimey
when the paste is gone. If some
fool used Elmer's glue to apply the paper, you may need to sand it.
There is a "repair" paste, for
mending seams, that is tough to get off - ran into it removing paper for
a friend once. It was
kind of like Elmer's but softened after a while. Tougher than regular
paste. It's a messy job, and
I know of no way to avoid that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Matt" wrote in message
I have removed a bunch of wall paper in my time, none of it easily. I
have tried the store purchased chemicals, steamers, scraping, etc. Its
just a messy job. I need to remove a border in the half bath. Looking
for reccomendations on getting the paper and glue off the wall. Are
there any home recipes you have had success with such as mild soap and
warm water? Any new or faithful products at the home center to ease
the job? Really hope this isnt going to turn into a full days job to
remove a border. Thanks.

I also have removed a bunch of wallpaper in my time. Warm water, watching
the paper to see how it reacts to same, and careful scrubbing works EVERY
time. The thing I have learned in countless hours of removing wallpaper is
that every wallpaper is different, and there is no easy way that applies to
all wallpapers.

HTH

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Matt" wrote in message
I have removed a bunch of wall paper in my time, none of it easily. I
have tried the store purchased chemicals, steamers, scraping, etc. Its
just a messy job. I need to remove a border in the half bath. Looking
for reccomendations on getting the paper and glue off the wall. Are
there any home recipes you have had success with such as mild soap and
warm water? Any new or faithful products at the home center to ease
the job? Really hope this isnt going to turn into a full days job to
remove a border. Thanks.

Use something called "WP Chomp". Peel off the first "layer" of wallpaper as
much as you can, then use a brush or roller and apply that stuff. Wait a
minute or two, but don't let it dry. Peel off remaining paper while it's
still wet.

Removing wallpaper border from painted (vinyl?) wallpaper Robert Campbell UK diy 12 May 23rd 06 11:20 AM
Removing Wallpaper patga Home Repair 6 August 22nd 05 07:50 PM
Removing Wallpaper [email protected] Home Ownership 2 December 27th 04 04:55 AM
Removing Wallpaper [email protected] Home Ownership 0 December 20th 04 09:57 PM