Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ryobi string trimmer head not turning.

The head on my string trimmer won't turn with any power. I can stop
it with my finger. I removed the flex shaft and it appears to be
unbroken. I removed the shaft parts covering the clutch end of the
engine exposing a round metal part that the flex shaft fits into. I
tried to hold it while running the motor at high rpm and could not do
so which makes me think the clutch is okay. I also removed the head
assembly, exposing the part the flex shaft fits into. Inserted a
large screwdriver into the exposed hole the shaft fits into and tried
to hold it while manually rotating the head and could not so it
appears that part of the trimmer is okay. I've never worked on a
string trimmer before and am at a loss as to why it's not working.
It's a Ryobi 767 rj straight shaft trimmer. I'ts only a couple of
years old and I would hate to have to replace it so soon. Hopefully
someone can provide some insight. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 8:47 pm, wrote:
On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 15:24:42 -0700 (PDT), Mike in Arkansas

Seems you did everything I would have suggested, but is the spool worn
where it attaches to the shaft? Or is there something in between the
spool and the flex shaft. I cant think of what would be there, it's
been years since I tore one of them apart. But what else is there?
It's not all that complicated to transfer engine power to the head.
One other thought, could the flex shaft wound tight and is too short
now, where it's not fitting into one end or the other? Lastly, maybe
the flex shaft has a break you can not see. Put it into a variable
speed drill (the whole shaft and head of the trimmer, minus the
engine). Slowly run the drill and hold the head. Does it turn, or
slip? If all is well, it's got to be in the engine clutching. If it
slips, its somewhere in the shaft or head.

Thanks for the help. I didn't realize that flex shafts could shorten
by being wound tight over time. That would sure explain my problem.
I'm off to try your variable speed drill suggestion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike in Arkansas" wrote in message
I've never worked on a
string trimmer before and am at a loss as to why it's not working.
It's a Ryobi 767 rj straight shaft trimmer.

The problem is wee the name Ryobi is. It should say Stihl.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 9:39 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Mike in Arkansas" wrote in message

I've never worked on a
string trimmer before and am at a loss as to why it's not working.
It's a Ryobi 767 rj straight shaft trimmer.

The problem is wee the name Ryobi is. It should say Stihl.

Very helpful. Thanks